• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Is it only me or geocities really that bad

olgt

Did anyone have similar problems with them ? I've read a few reviews and one of them said "I don't understand why people don't like Geocities. I love them! They are easy to use, they have a great Advanced Editor, FTP access and great customer service. Geocities rocks!". Well, if someone has the same question reading a few lines below might answer it.

I've been using geocities for quite awhile. But recently they have shutdown my site and I could not even connect there to get my files back via ftp. I've written a number of e-mails to them asking for any explanation but have not received any answer. They were ok for free hosting with 15m of space and a few useful CGIs. The point is though that all the features do not matter as long as they could shutdown your site w/out notifying you why and you can lose all your data. So no matter what editor they have there you would be better off using ftp so you would have at least the original files backed up.

I believe based on my experience that it's impossible to get reliable hosting for free. I'm not even talking about custom cgi-bin support availability. Even w/out it. Additionally, most (if not all) free hosting servers have a traffic limit which you could hardly control. I've decided to use dns redirection (www.dyndns.org) and my own provider instead. This way it's somewhat easier to move from one provider to another and still keeping the same web site address (dnl alias). Even if it happens to be a magic free hosting provider that would somehow manage to provide all features, be reliable, free and survive at the time.

hmz....i`ve never had any problems with geocities,they only delete your site if it is illegal(they only check once a year though) but even if they delete your site you can access your account & upload again :)

Well, I definitely did not have anything illegal out there - only resume and ~3M of family pictures that I uploaded shortly before they shutdown the site. I've received the notification about exceeding the traffic but the site still should be available once per hour according to what they say. And of course they should not disable the ftp access. Otherwise I could not even remove the files to reduce the traffic.

It happened shortly after Jan 5th, 2002. I've tried a few minutes ago using both ftp and file manager. Ftp still says "Invalid member name or password" and file manager shows 0 MB for all used/available/total allocated disk space usage. If I try to create a new file file manager reports "I/O Error ". Very frustrating ...

Originally posted by olgt
Well, I definitely did not have anything illegal out there - only resume and ~3M of family pictures that I uploaded shortly before they shutdown the site. I've received the notification about exceeding the traffic but the site still should be available once per hour according to what they say. And of course they should not disable the ftp access. Otherwise I could not even remove the files to reduce the traffic.

your not allowed to use them to just store your images!

I did not have ONLY images. I had my resume out there too. A couple of other html files as well. And I was going to create a nice html/javascript pages to show pictures with comments, thumbnails, etc. I had many plans but since they disabled my access how am I going to make them come true ?

So what is the definition of "to just store images". Does it mean that I can't have any image files there at all ?

Geocities is fine for beginners as well as advanced. Reliable/fairly fast, built-in editor, etc. If all else fails, read the directions ROTFLMAO

If there was nothing illegal there, and you weren't spamming your site, don't give up just yet :)

When I was still actively using Geocities, every few months, my site would just go 'off air' for a few days. It was very frustrating, but by the time they got around to replying that there was no problem with it, it was back online. :rolleyes:

My old Geocities account still has everything on it... And it hasn't been touched for about two years.

Geocities were good until they put the bandwith limits on,I mean two people viewed my flash intro and the site was over its limit (it wasnt even that big).Angelfire is better than Geo anyday,but I dont like Angel so I dont know why I'm talking about them :confused: .
T35 all the way ;)

Originally posted by InstinctWWF
Geocities were good until they put the bandwith limits on,I mean two people viewed my flash intro and the site was over its limit (it wasnt even that big).

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Geoshitties is crap. Of course if many people are downloading files at the same time, the connection will get really slow, but limiting the actual amount of data flow from a server in a specified time period - aaargh! What's the point of a fast connection if you can't take advantage of it (ie, nobody can see your site)?

I start to believe that when someone says shit about a host, like they shut down my site etc. is impossible that he hasn't done something that is forbidden in the host's TOS. Why Geocities should close his site, if he hasn't done something wrong. I don't think that they have personal problems with him. Anyway...

geocities is really bad i also had an account there but now i just left it alone the name just irritates me.but is ok for beginners but not for advanced.

Originally posted by Mika
Why Geocities should close his site, if he hasn't done something wrong. I don't think that they have personal problems with him.

That's easy - they're greedy, drunk on their own sense of power (ie, abusing their own "We reserve the right to terminate any account without notice" line in their TOS), and just like kicking people out at random.

Back