• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Is Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004 the best?

chem3

Hi,

I am a fresh web designer, and I'm trying to start learning HTML, so I try to view the source file for each web page I surf trying to understand some of the HTML tags and their functions. But what attracted my attention was that in MOST of the web pages which I viewed their source file the following line would exist at the top of the source file:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
or,
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

I guess this means that those web pages were designed using Macromedia Dreamweaver MX...How brilliant I am!
If my guessing was right, would that mean that Macromedia Dreamweaver MX is the best, the most commonly and the most widely-used program for designing websites???

chem3 said:
I guess this means that those web pages were designed using Macromedia Dreamweaver MX...How brilliant I am!
No, those are W3C tags. I for one don't believe in their standards, I believe the internet was supposed to be free.

No, you're not brilliant :p
Those tags like Meksilon said are W3C tags, doctypes. They tell validators what language the coding is in (HTML or XHTML) you only need doctypes if you want to validate your coding and when you validate, you also need character encoding.

pdrucker said:
you dont need them, but its still good to have for design guidelines. it helps compatibility.

well.. following w3c guidelines, you should place them...
if you did notice why some webpages view differently in another browser, that's because they did not follow the guidelines.

some browsers like nestcape ( newer version ) correct the common problems.

i really recommend that you use nestcape 4.7 for testing purposes.

if you did notice why some webpages view differently in another browser, that's because they did not follow the guidelines.
Not exactly, even when your coding's valid and everything, it still can be different in different browsers. Though W3C guidelines help a lot in making sure that your design is cross-browser compatible.

I still use WYSIWYG editors, whats wrong with them? As long as you know basic html, it should be okay. The only problem with them is they sometimes put codes you don't need.

R4g1ng said:
I still use WYSIWYG editors, whats wrong with them? As long as you know basic html, it should be okay. The only problem with them is they sometimes put codes you don't need.

there is nothing wrong but if you really want to consistent look throughout browsers. You really need to get down into the code to have a look :)

i think its safe to not use any tags which have anything to do wth W3C, You dont need to use there standards since every browser compiles differently; The best thing to do is use your own standards and do whatever works best for your site, You will find you end up using alot of common standards to get your site working good in all browsers.

The reason some browsers show errors and others dont is because they all compile the html different, a browser is a "compiler". it reads the code/html and outputs it as a page.
Browsers like IE often hide errors so u dont realize you have made a mistake, and some browsers wont hide errors at all they may even create errors., which is why its good to test in browsers like netscape as overulehost said.

Is Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004 the best?
Im not 100% certain, its either Dreamweaver or Frontpage that is the worst possible thing to use.

ryza said:
i think its safe to not use any tags which have anything to do wth W3C, You dont need to use there standards since every browser compiles differently; The best thing to do is use your own standards and do whatever works best for your site, You will find you end up using alot of common standards to get your site working good in all browsers.
The standards increase the chance of cross browser compatibility, sometimes spaces in coding are the only thing that affects viewing.

ryza said:
Im not 100% certain, its either Dreamweaver or Frontpage that is the worst possible thing to use.
Dreamweaver's better than Frontpage. But they're not bad things to use. It saves time when coding a layout or anything else that may be a bit difficult. You just need to check through the coding and fix it up a little, usually they're tags that you don't need.

R4g1ng said:
Dreamweaver's better than Frontpage. But they're not bad things to use. It saves time when coding a layout or anything else that may be a bit difficult. You just need to check through the coding and fix it up a little, usually they're tags that you don't need.

Yeh i didnt mean nothing by it, hope your not offended..
dreamweaver, frontpage are generally frowned upon by the community, i couldnt care less really just answering the posters topic question :)

Personally i like "EditPlus" on windows, it seems to be able to handle more data when copying/pasting large stuff whereas "ultraedit" crashes with the same amount, had this problem with flatfile databases a few years ago. (both good editors btw). thats the only problem i had with ulraedit so i stuck with editplus ever since, i even install it on linux with Wine.
checkout http://www.editplus.com
and iv been using "Kate" lately on linux,,, The best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit:

kates screenshots: http://kate.kde.org/screenshots.php

Last edited:
OK! Here is a professional question: You all know that screen resolution varies from on computer to another, so using "Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004" can I design my website in terms of percentage and not pixels in order to accommodate every resolution???

Thanks all

chem3 said:
OK! Here is a professional question: You all know that screen resolution varies from on computer to another, so using "Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004" can I design my website in terms of percentage and not pixels in order to accommodate every resolution???

Thanks all

well... i guess that's what you should do.

just use percentage then

Back