• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Laptop Problems - Failing boot

BananaMaster

Ok,

I've bought a dell vostro 1000 laptop on thursday, it came with XP, it installed well. Friday it worked. Then I booted it yesterday and found that it wouldn't boot up, the recovery ddin't work on the Windows CD, so I had to re-install windows and lost all my data (didn't care all I got to do was install all the software) and today when I booted my PC up again it was corrupt with the same error and had to re-install windows.

Any suggestions? I'm calling Dell tomorow.

That could be a number of things. Bad sectors e.c.t

But I will agree with the rest take it back. The one good thing dell is good about. Returns

Don't risk the waranty trying to fix it, just call Dell and get a new one :)

well, post the error, or, call dell to get another one. i have never had problems with them. i have had 3 of their laptops, all have been great.

Oooooohhhhh that's sounds like the HD in the laptop went bad. Call Dell, make 'em fix it.

Have the old one packed and ready or the courier won't give you the new one :wink2:

Let's just hope that's all it is - happens in transit and handling a lot, largest percentage of HDD failures are fail before fit (or just slightly after but that doesn't count on a preload only)

Have the old one packed and ready or the courier won't give you the new one :wink2:

Let's just hope that's all it is - happens in transit and handling a lot, largest percentage of HDD failures are fail before fit (or just slightly after but that doesn't count on a preload only)

Ready? No
Packed up? Only if the courier ask's when they come. Though thinking about it they probably would want it packed up.

Yep they track the serials of the HDDs I know trust me - part of my job!

If it's not ready you won't get the courier waiting or the replacement handed over!

It's to stop HDD's being swapped and machines sent back for warrenty repair and to stop having to send an engineer out just to do it.

Didn't they give you any instructions on that, like a pick number, or leave it open so the courier could check it?

Ok,

Seemed like someone from Dell Support in the UK came to deliver it, the new one came in a box so we just swapped them around and he put the old one in the box and gave me the new one in plastic covering.

I'll see if that has fixed it tomorow morning when I wake up.

Yea, you shouldn't have any more problems when you pop that HD in. I've seen that problem at least 3 times, it had to have been the HD. If you had heard any click in your PC from the old HD then it was DEFIANTLY the HD.

Back