• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Linksys wifi

Kratt

I got a new router WRT45G about 1mth ago. But sometimes my connection to it drops out and I have to restart the router to get anything. Restarting the PC wifi doesn't help. Any ideas why? My PC is using ASUS P5B DELUXE builtin wifi.

I had the same issue. One from Wal-Mart? :)

Mine was caused by being on a cable modem at home and the broadcast traffic was too much for the router. It would just lock up and the wireless/wired both would die.

One way to fix it is to re-flash it with DD-WRT which works perfect for me.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php

So well that I donated the $100.00 I was going to spend on a new router !

Otherwise, the second fix would be to buy a cheap normal router and connect it directly to your modem/dsl. Then daisy chain the Wireless router out of the wired router so that the wired router is catching all of the broadcast traffic. This should fix your issue and it is what I wound up doing as well to seperate my wireless network from my wired network via subnets without using VLANs.

Good luck!

If you don't want to bother with flashing it then I would just go to linksys and update your drivers... (I had the same problem)

The latest version had screwed up problems with the UPD or something like that.

What do you mean by broadcast traffic? My dsl modem is a 4port router in itself, so I assume this already is catching all of the broadcast traffic?
My WRT is on its own subnet.

Check the hardware version (lable on the bottom) and get the newest flash for the firmware, remember only get the right one for the hardware version, don't be tempted to up it :)

Had similar problems with a few of them but flashing them sorted it out no worries.

I actually had the same issues at my house with that router. I did flash it and install the DD-WRT firmware which seems to have fixed it for a few months before starting to freeze up again. I flashed it back to the WRT54G original firmware and that fixed it.. Kind of weird.

I use to have connections dropping until I changed to DD-WRT, all that went away.

Now I use Tomato Firmware instead since it monitors all the bandwidth usage on my network.

The new DD-WRT does bandwidth monitoring and I think you jinxed me. The last week I have had dropped wireless connectivity, seems to just hang and I have to reset it again.

(I have the pos WRT54G - which requires the micro code)

Back