• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Linux hosting vs Windows hosting

rainplanet

I want to know the main difference between hosting that use Linux as the platform and those that use Windows. Does it determine the way I build my sites? I mean if I build using Frontpage or common html, can I host my website on Linux hosting?

Thanks.

Linux is much more stable than Windows. (i.e. Debian, Redhat)
Unix is much more stable than Linux (i.e. FreeBSD, OpenBSD)

And to answer your second question, no, it wont change the way you build your site.

Thanks for your respons.

It's better to use Linux then. Because in my country, Linux hosting is much cheaper than Windows-based hosting. Do you know why something better can be priced lower and still people prefer the more expensive one?

windows=ASP, MSsql, VBscript
linux= php, Mysql, cgi/perl..

it all depends what you need. and lets not get into another discussion about security... :rolleyes:

With a windows host, one can easily create a database driven site without any coding, i.e. ultradev and access.

Frontpage can be utilized from either linux,unix or windows.

Windows supports a majority of the web-dev languages and db's that linux does, however linux and apache have been proven to provide better uptime and stability.

Windows is a lot easier to set up scripts on because there is no CHMOD! It makes it almost worth it. Windows is usually more just cause they have to pay off the windows licenses Linux is more reliable but tell me, why are you worried about 99.9% uptime, or 99.9999% I don't mind the difference.

Back