• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Looking for two VPS

Tyler

NLC
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for two VPS of the following configuration:

Disk Quota: 3GB available space after OS installation.
Monthly Transfer/Connection: 1Mbps unmetered with the option to upgrade to 5Mbps in the future.
Distro: CentOS
RAM: 64MB with the option to upgrade to 128MB in the future.
IP: One IPv4.

They must be XEN. I will not take OpenVZ so please do us all a favor and do not offer if you only have OpenVZ.

Price is not a issue unless you're charging some insane amount for what I'm asking for.

If you are going to host both of the VPS, I need one of them in a different state for redundancy.

No offers? This section must be full of resellers.

Actually, I would guess that:

1) Most VPS companies in today's day and age don't offer 64MB of RAM and probably haven't for several years. They would need to create a customized package for you.
2) A lot, if not most, companies don't offer services in Mbps. Most are fixed bandwidth.

I would recommend heading over here and see if you can find anything: http://www.lowendbox.com/tag/xen/

Actually, I would guess that:

1) Most VPS companies in today's day and age don't offer 64MB of RAM and probably haven't for several years. They would need to create a customized package for you.
2) A lot, if not most, companies don't offer services in Mbps. Most are fixed bandwidth.

I would recommend heading over here and see if you can find anything: http://www.lowendbox.com/tag/xen/

I'm aware of Lowendbox. Why not offer 1Mbps unmetered? All of the major VPS control panels support it and I can easily pay the cost of the bandwidth. Most datacenters sell 1Mbps for between $2-$6 - it's not like I'm asking for much. As far as the RAM goes, 64MB on a box with 24GB-48GB is a drop in the bucket.

Why not? It's because that isn't part of their business model.

I realize you aren't asking for much. In fact, you're hardly asking for anything at all, as far as the specs are concerned. My point is that what you are asking for is not anywhere close to a normal package these days for most VPS providers. It doesn't mean that everybody is a reseller. It simply means that they don't want to go out of their way to create a custom plan for you with those specs.

These guys have a 64MB Xen plan, but it seems pretty expensive: https://hostigation.com/vps.php
Here's another: https://secure.quickweb.co.nz/system/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0

I realize those don't have 1Mbps, but as far as the RAM is concerned, that's the closest I could find.

Aside from that, I have no idea.

Hi Tyler,

I suppose maybe why you haven't received many requests is simply because the request is somewhat unusual compared to what were used to.

In any regard I can take a stab at an offer. First off, the minimal RAM and disk space requirements make XEN somewhat of a moot point. I realize your wanting it primarily to ensure we don't oversell your resources I'd assume? But that just simply wont occur in this situation, not to mention we don't over sell in the first place. If you are still interested then please read on.

For 64MB, 3GB available drive space the cost would be extremely minimal. But for our 1mbps connection we'd have to charge you 20$ total each. That is presuming the ~500gb 30-day period would be fully used. If you would like to discuss some details feel free to get a hold of me as I would have to build the custom package either way.

Good luck in your search

Why the hell not? Isn't his money just as green as anybody else's?

It's like going to the grocery store and saying you only want half a box of Cheerios, then asking General Mills to create a custom box just for you, because they don't make it in the size you want.

Of course hosting is a little different, but I think you get the point. Companies have business plans for a reason. Hosts have set plans for a reason. 64mb of RAM is something you would expect 5 years ago, and even that is a stretch. Just buy a 256mb plan, or 512mb plan or such, with 500GB of 100mbit or gbit traffic and call it a day. Generally speaking, asking companies to create a custom plan, when there are plenty of reasonable plans that exceed the requested requirements, is a little bit..."unusual" as BigScoots put it.

In any event, I'm not going to derail the OPs thread any further. I just wanted to explain to him why he probably wasn't getting many offers. I think it has been explained quite reasonably.

Hi Tyler,

I suppose maybe why you haven't received many requests is simply because the request is somewhat unusual compared to what were used to.

In any regard I can take a stab at an offer. First off, the minimal RAM and disk space requirements make XEN somewhat of a moot point. I realize your wanting it primarily to ensure we don't oversell your resources I'd assume? But that just simply wont occur in this situation, not to mention we don't over sell in the first place. If you are still interested then please read on.

For 64MB, 3GB available drive space the cost would be extremely minimal. But for our 1mbps connection we'd have to charge you 20$ total each. That is presuming the ~500gb 30-day period would be fully used. If you would like to discuss some details feel free to get a hold of me as I would have to build the custom package either way.

Good luck in your search

Hi BigScoots,

1Mbps is actually 321GB a month. I understand that you use ubiquityservers and that is why your bandwidth cost is so high and understand your position. I was hoping to find someone here rather then using lowendbox, but it looks like I may have to use it after all.

Last edited:
It's like going to the grocery store and saying you only want half a box of Cheerios, then asking General Mills to create a custom box just for you, because they don't make it in the size you want.

You're comparing apples to oranges. BUT since you want to talk about tangible resources, I would be pretty pissed if I rolled up to the gas station, and they told me that I could only put gasoline in my vehicle in certain gallon increments rather than being able to only buy what I really wanted.

You're comparing apples to oranges. BUT since you want to talk about tangible resources, I would be pretty pissed if I rolled up to the gas station, and they told me that I could only put gasoline in my vehicle in certain gallon increments rather than being able to only buy what I really wanted.

Like I said, hosting is a little different than a box of Cheerios. But my point still stands. Most hosts in today's market simply do not offer 64mb of RAM. It's like requiring that the VPS be hosted on a Pentium II node.

The OP was wondering why there were no replies to his request, and I'm assuming that is why. Look at the other VPS threads on the forum here and you see a 1/2 dozen or more offers. Most hosts simply don't have 64mb plans, nor do they handle their bandwidth in Mbps. The alternative is to just go with a higher-level plan and set amount of bandwidth. I'm sure there would be plenty of offers.

Like I said, hosting is a little different than a box of Cheerios. But my point still stands. Most hosts in today's market simply do not offer 64mb of RAM. It's like requiring that the VPS be hosted on a Pentium II node.

The OP was wondering why there were no replies to his request, and I'm assuming that is why. Look at the other VPS threads on the forum here and you see a 1/2 dozen or more offers. Most hosts simply don't have 64mb plans, nor do they handle their bandwidth in Mbps. The alternative is to just go with a higher-level plan and set amount of bandwidth. I'm sure there would be plenty of offers.

I'm asking for a custom plan - which is, believe it or not, exactly what this section of the forum is for.

And I really don't feel like asking/paying for higher plans that I will never use. Believe it or not I have one VPS using only 15MB RAM on a 128MB plan - that's a lot of unused RAM and wasted money, both for me and for the host. This is why I don't feel like paying for more then I need.

Lets stop the pointless debate. If you have a offer please post it but otherwise don't clutter my thread.

Hi BigScoots,

1Mbps is actually 321GB a month. I understand that you use ubiquityservers and that is why your bandwidth cost is so high and understand your position. I was hoping to find someone here rather then using lowendbox, but it looks like I may have to use it after all.

We actually don't use ubiquityservers for collocation, never actually heard of them before but either way premium bandwidth is a pretty penny when other aspects of the server such as RAM and CPU aren't compensating for it. I'd be prepared to move a bit, say $15.00/month but cant do much more.

Again good luck in your hunt.

We actually don't use ubiquityservers for collocation, never actually heard of them before but either way premium bandwidth is a pretty penny when other aspects of the server such as RAM and CPU aren't compensating for it. I'd be prepared to move a bit, say $15.00/month but cant do much more.

Again good luck in your hunt.

No offense, but you may want to get your money back from whoever you are collocating with then.

10 151 ms 148 ms 139 ms ae1-30g.ar1.ord1.us.nlayer.net [69.31.111.134]
11 140 ms 116 ms 123 ms edge1.chi2.ubiquityservers.com [69.31.111.66]
12 122 ms 123 ms 125 ms vps1.bigscoots.com [64.79.96.154]
13 123 ms 126 ms 124 ms stewie.bigscoots.com [64.79.96.155]

Any other offers?

Something to also think about, you stated that you want Xen only, many of us including myself would be happy to create you your custom package, but we only sell OpenVZ VPS's.

Thanks,
Anthony

I decided to go with Rubyringtech who made me a offer and then folded on my second VPS and went with Club Uptime. Mods, feel free to close the thread.

Back