• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Making a layout

Yahtzee

This is really frustrating, I have my website all laid out on paper, and I'd rather make the layout myself but I have no idea how to begin! So I have some questions hopefully someone can answer.

1) Is it hard to make a layout?

2) What is the best programme to use to make a layout?

3) Any useful tutorials you can give me or tips.

My personnal opinion is not to use photoshop for the layout of your site. Either code it in HTML or use Dreamweaver/Frontpage/etc.

The best option is to use tables and refrain from using frames for a number of reasons. However in order to provide you with more help, state what is your knowledge on building websites (e.g. do you know HTML? / do you know any graphics programs such as Photoshop? / etc.)

why not design in photoshop first and then make the html in Dreamweaver ?

Geez a real one - both dreamweaver and photoshop are for pro's (no harm meant) try a google search for 'easy web site' there are loads and the Cute suite (as in Cute FTP and such)

Yahtzee said:
This is really frustrating, I have my website all laid out on paper, and I'd rather make the layout myself but I have no idea how to begin! So I have some questions hopefully someone can answer.

1) Is it hard to make a layout?

2) What is the best programme to use to make a layout?

3) Any useful tutorials you can give me or tips.

Layout making depends on the site content, the more professional the content is, i think the harder the layout.

The best program to create html for me is frontpage (they say dreamweaver, but i never had the chance to try it). Adobe maybe for picture creation (i guess)

Tips: put matching colors, not to bright nor dark. place something else unique. place navigation where everyone can see it..

i hope this helps!
;-)

cyberdog said:
Layout making depends on the site content, the more professional the content is, i think the harder the layout.

The best program to create html for me is frontpage (they say dreamweaver, but i never had the chance to try it). Adobe maybe for picture creation (i guess)

Tips: put matching colors, not to bright nor dark. place something else unique. place navigation where everyone can see it..

i hope this helps!
;-)
Goto a site such as http://www.good-tutorials.com if you wish to design anything with photoshop, and in Ps 7, first u slice it and export it to image ready and then SAVE IT FOR WEB, and it should give u an html version.

to me, the best layout program for WEB, is macromedia fireworks mx, easy to use-make sure u read help files....

u can say have a graphic, cut it to many parts (called slicing) and present it on a table saved as html which u can open with dreamweaver and insert the tabulated data that u need....works like a charm and looks proffesional......

layout - fireworks the best, photoshop better only for extra styles and optimised output, say image with high res.... but then again, fireworks the best!!!

html - frontpage - too easy, dreamweaver-more functions but got to be patient and read the help files.....it works, just need not be lazy..hehehhe......

peace

with dreamweaver, easy. can you use Word ? well it's almost same, but better controll :D

My tools:
-Photoshop
-Frontpage
-Creativity
-Patience

I use the photoshop/frontpage duo rather than PS/dreamweaver coz frontpage is sooo much more easier for making tables. always keep in mind that ur photoshop layout needs to be sliced/cut up, so don't go too overboard with your creativity.... or you'll have a site that makes he 56k users bitch. every graphic means a greater loading time, so try and re-use images wherever possible.

Just my 2 cents

I use 1stpage for coding and GIMP for graphics (both free). I like to do the coding myself rather than using any optimiser or automatic assembler. I've done a free course at e-learningcenter.com on html and javascript then just to doublecheck any updates gone through the same material at about.com. I also use a lot of free tutorials and often have a look at the source code of sites I come across and like certain features about. I know it's cheeky but I'd rather use something what works well than inventing something else just to make my job harder.

Where can I get DreamWeaver.. a trial version or something.. I tried downloading from the official website, but it failed.

Back