• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Max # Of Hosting Reps From 1 Company

Thorny

Hello all,

Yes it's time for one of my rant's again;
So today im posting in a post and reading through it to become very disorientated as to who is actually posting what, im not going to name them but they know who they are. I just thought it would be a good point to bring up with the fact that here at FWS you dont allow "direct linking" or "advertising" as such but there's also times when having around 5-6 sales reps etc is maybe classed as some form of "advertising" in some way?

Ok 2-3 is ok but that's still plenty, it's like several companies on this board want to own the place, it's like a comparions with a stock market if you like to invisage it that way, the more people you get to work on the board the more clients you get.... shame that when it comes to after sales support, some companies generally lack here.

Now i have been in the hosting industry some time now, both private, local, and publically, and there's times when i have really hated it, often when you find several companies that do have an established background and client base, pasting their offers everywhere, i feel sorry for those host's starting out simply because theres no way that they can keep up. All i ask is that maybe a quote be set on how many rep's a company can have on the board....

What does everyone else think, dont flame/bash me, it is something that other people have brought up also

Good thread. Wanted to add my post from the other thread:

It is off-topic but of worthy value.

They do not allow affiliate websites or links (eg. resellerspanel) but so many of these eg. "sales reps" who earn commissions from sales are allowed. I'm not against such practice but something is unhealthy from this.

An interesting topic for discussion in another thread perhaps. Apologize for going off wire.

Thorny,
I have to agree with you. I do believe that this is a form of advertising. On company in particular pretty much "rules" FWS.

True, there is one company that seems to be ruling over FWS. However, I'm fully in favor of capitalism, and I feel that if they have the financial resources to keep those people employed, that's their thing. However, it's probably a good idea to limit it, just to discourage other host's from taking over the forum with hundreds of reps. (HostGator, etc..).

However, you must realize that when this one company gets big enough, they'll no longer need the advertisement that FWS provides. Posting here isn't a very efficient way of spending company time when you make enough money.

True, there is one company that seems to be ruling over FWS. However, I'm fully in favor of capitalism, and I feel that if they have the financial resources to keep those people employed, that's their thing. However, it's probably a good idea to limit it, just to discourage other host's from taking over the forum with hundreds of reps. (HostGator, etc..).

However, you must realize that when this one company gets big enough, they'll no longer need the advertisement that FWS provides. Posting here isn't a very efficient way of spending company time when you make enough money.

To true, as you notice with FWS ad's on the site, all the bigger companys just pay for a banner or something....

3 as an absolute max.

If you want to watch this forum 24/7 for new requests, you can easily do that with 2, or 3 representatives.

PS: Most of our staff have accounts here, but only 2 of us openly advertise. And I think that is sufficient. But on that note - We don’t employ by commission, like the said company this thread is about does.

I also agree this is beginning to turn into a one man race, which isn't good.

I dont advertise for the host i work with, but there are about 5 others who do and its becoming a race for sales tbh.

I think 1 is enough. 2 maximum for larger companies. (large, I mean real large)

I don't think it's a problem of domination, having more reps doesn't mean you are winning a race. If you are a host looking to find clients, wasting 6 reps on one forum is quite honestly, a very wrong judgement and a waste of possible valuable resources that could be used else where. Frankly it boils down to something as simple as - what is the point of having more than 1 rep per forum? It actually looks very bad, shows desperation of a ill-structured business.

But not only this, from a forum member's perspective it is also quite annoying. This is not a one host's forum. All these "reps" referring to themselves and the company as "we" is getting irritating, as if forming groups and clans within the forum. And all these people just poping out of nowhere claiming to be a company rep is also kind of comical.

If it is just a commissions or referrals thing without a yearly salary and legally registered employed status, I do not see how that is different from reselling for resellerspanel which is dealt with quite harshly here.

I think this is something to think about and solving this might cut out a lot of the crap that goes on around here.

James,

What about sections? For example, we at GS have staff that only work on one of our areas, for example, ShoutCastI (Dini). Dini is in charge of advertising for ShoutCastI, yet works for Galaxy Solutions, LLC.

Are you classing it as the company as a whole, or the services they provide if kept separate? For example, Dini will never advertise GS or GH.

Yes I am talking about the representing of a company/host on the forums. I'm not saying there shouldn't be more than 2 staff of a company registered as members. Being a staff member doesn't mean you are actively advertising it in the signatures and replying to hosting requests, at the forums.

All in all, I'm saying there should be limits to the amount of visible, active representation a company is allowed in a forum full of web hosts, free and paid. The last thing we want is a sea of "MSN mates" who are reps for each other. This ruins FWS. It needs more user-end hosting/website users activity and less hosts.

This would also stop hosts using this as a support forum for their services. This is also annoying - FWS is not your support portal! It seems fashion to have a technical support rep, few sales reps, abuse rep, customer relations rep, server admin rep, billing rep, resellers rep, shared hosting rep, so on and so on, and not to forget - the rep who is 'the owner'. Excuse the exaggeration but simply put, is it so necessary? By trying to appear professional, you achieve unprofessionalism.

James,

What about sections? For example, we at GS have staff that only work on one of our areas, for example, ShoutCastI (Dini). Dini is in charge of advertising for ShoutCastI, yet works for Galaxy Solutions, LLC.

Are you classing it as the company as a whole, or the services they provide if kept separate? For example, Dini will never advertise GS or GH.

I would think that in this situation having more would be fine, as it's essentially a child company, and since they are not overlapping in advertising, it would appear to most people as though it is separate companies.

The next thing to do though....how would the mods' moderate this, and would it put even more "stress" on them and would they be willing to do it....

Thorny, I'm gone mental from stress as it is so I am sure I can handle some more. The Prozac Decker sent me actually works. :lol:

I would think that in this situation having more would be fine, as it's essentially a child company, and since they are not overlapping in advertising, it would appear to most people as though it is separate companies.

I agree that is fine. I am just tired of this one company thinking they own this board.

i personally dont advertise geek rack, but, i will post offers since i do work for them. yes, 4, 5 or 6 reps may seem excessive to some, but, on the same hand, a company growing as fast as geek rack is, the more reps you will find. it just happens that a good number of us are here at fws. seems we may need to spread a little to conquer more.

Back