• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

My computer is a box of shit

I know that defragging is not some miracle tool that will make my computer 1 million times greater, but nonetheless, I'd still like to be able to do it. I'd also prefer a clean shutdown than a computer crash. I don't know, I guess I like to play by the rules sometimes.

I didn't mean you specifically, I just meant in-general. Apparently I was the named the neighborhood's computer geek, and so anytime anyone has a problem, they come to me. They like to drop their own suggestions first, which is usually "should I defrag it?" (Why didn't you try that before coming to me? Eh?!). Defrag quickly became my natural enemy.

"Why does my computer let me make typos? Doesn't my keyboard have a spellchecker in it?"

But anywho, WindowsME never was a good O/S to begin with. I hadn't seen so many crashes and resource hogs since Win95 "A". =) Chances are, ya put ME back on it, and you're still gonna have the same trouble!

Computers originally shipped with ME should be able to smoothly run Win2k. And Win2k, is one microsoft O/S I'll swear by! :D You could probably get away with XP as well, depending on the system. If you really wanted XP, you may need a couple hardware upgrades. =)

awww, who asked you huh??!! :D (kidding!) For the life of me I can't imagine why anyone would ;) The little bit I saw of it, it looked just like 98. Only thing different was the load-up screen ;) For me, ME did nothing but crash... And for a person to go from running a web/ftp/email/dns server on Windows98 for a year and a half without on crash, to crashing several times a day on ME, you *know* it can't be the fault of the user! ;)

"In 1999, I prayed to God for an O/S to be as user-friendly as Windows, but as stable as Linux. Next year God gave us all Windows2000." :D

Blank im going to go along with a few people, a format and install will definately be the best bet. Whatever you do, if you can avoid it, do not put ME back onto that PC. 98 Second Edition is much better if you want a 9X series OS. Otherwise 2K is another great idea.

If you think it can run it, then XP is always good aswell.

Im sure their has to be somewhere you can get yourself a copy of one of these OS's. Surely. Even if you could find a ME cd, and ring up the dude you bought it off to give you the serial number, then it would still be legal.

Format+Reinstall=Good.

I'm not a fan of Windows ME, but anytime format and have a freshly installed OS (even ME), you will be ever so happy. If you do install ME, just try to go ahead and run the updates and careful what you install....

Last time I installed ME after reformating,
It gave me the bsod during install... ahum... talk about stability....

Originally posted by Wojtek
Last time I installed ME after reformating,
It gave me the bsod during install... ahum... talk about stability....

Windows me is very buggy.. sort of like a cross-dresser between a man and a woman.. but it can help cure him of other problems.

I'd suggest getting Windows 98. There has to be a friend who has a copy who doesnt use it anymore.

Blank, you can probably run WinXP. I ran it on a Pentium I (that's right kids, Pentium One MMX) 200MHz with about...eh...64MB RAM. Turned off the eyecandy, ran fine.
[added]
The previous OS on that computer was Windows 95

Originally posted by notnamed
Blank, you can probably run WinXP. I ran it on a Pentium I (that's right kids, Pentium One MMX) 200MHz with about...eh...64MB RAM. Turned off the eyecandy, ran fine.
[added]
The previous OS on that computer was Windows 95

I would not recommend anyone run Windows XP on a 200Mhz Machine.. that's insane .. with 64mb of ram.. heh..

I did for three or four months. I'm just mentioning that WinXP can run on some pretty low-end systems :classic2:

I know I can run XP, if I had it I would be running it. But yeah, I got Windows 2K back now, my favourite OS to date, so thanks for helping me out guys.

Not that anyone cares (or that it is relevant to this thread), I would probably still be running 2000 if XP didn't have such a nicer login interface for multiple users.

I don't neccessarily care, you're right :p, but I do agree with you. Fortunately, I'm the only one who uses this computer, so I'm happy to use 2k.

Back