• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

My Computer

JesseGraham

Hey! im thinking of hosting my own websites.... Instead of searching for new hosts when they go down.....

I can then rely on myself...

My PC, and Router is on 24/7 how would i go about doing this?

Turning my PC into a server i meen :)

Better check bigpond TOS first ;) They give you space for a home page anyway, why not use it?

Telstra Internet, YUK. I would recomend either changing your isp if you are not in a contract, Also go with a provider that does not count uploads towards downloads and to a provider who do not change IP's every 8 hours. Also I would recomend getting a UPS and surge protection.

Also make sure that insurrence covers damage to the servers/computer incase of robbery/fire/storm

Good Luck.....

Telstra Internet, YUK. I would recomend either changing your isp if you are not in a contract, Also go with a provider that does not count uploads towards downloads and to a provider who do not change IP's every 8 hours. Also I would recomend getting a UPS and surge protection.

Also make sure that insurrence covers damage to the servers/computer incase of robbery/fire/storm

Good Luck.....

-------

lol, i wasnt going to host anyone... and im only 14, my parants pay the bill..... fast net for me, for free.....

lol, i dont complain to them.... they might take it off :-O

Thanks guys!

Bigpond used to send me bills for a service I never used. It took them 6 months and a complaint letter from me before they cut it off. I never even think or dream of getting hosted with Bigpond.

About the topic, Australian BW are so expensive and limited, you dont want to host your site using your own server. Besides, correct me if I am wrong I think with the current normal ADSL technology the maximum upstream is 256Kpbs even with a 1.5Mbps connection. So its not really that fast. Plus you have to maintain, manage and watch over it. It maybe good to experiment but not with a production website

Zac

Different if you are on Cable or Adsl/+2

Australia has not really got with the program with the internet however we just have to live with it. I use to have cable and loved it until i moved to a non-cabled area so now Im on ADSL.

Hope to the future Melbourne expands its cable network, Very Unlikley.

JesseGraham said:
im with Telstra, did i mention that?
No you didnt.

I wouldnt recommend you hosting at home though, unless you are an expert and make sure your homeserver is very secured.

i dont want to host people, just myself... and i dont need it to be up 24/7, as u know when it will be down if its at home...

I stongrly recommend going with a small cheap shared account over hosting on your network. Chances are your maximum upload speed is 1mb/s. Users will actually be able to load data/download off of your home connection/server at around 100kb/s. Most hosts use a 100mbit upload port, which is atleast 100 times faster than yours. Also, a data center is much more reliable then your home isp. You will not have to worry about power outages either if you choose a web host who is in a reliable data center. If you do not take my advice:

www.apachefriends.org
--xampp
--- Apache, PHP, MYSQL all in one. Great for the home server.

No, his internet connection wont be anywhere near 1mb/s up. The fastest ADSL 1 speed attainable is 512/512, which means you'll be able to transfer data between your computer (the server) and the visitor (the client) at a maximum of around about 52kb per second. Someone on a 512kb connection would max our your total bandwidth, heaven forbid your website actual traffic and having more than 3...

Which means your upload is only 128k, meaning you can upload at around 12kb a second. Definatley not enough to run a website.

Back