• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

MyDomain-should we make plans?

jiminsd

I was just thinking about F2s and how they are now getting out of the "free" business. I'm sure many of us wondered how have they stayed around as long as they have.

I think it would be wise to look at MyDomain consider if they started charging. Let me say that I have not heard anything and hopefully they will still be running (unchanged) in 10 years. But... they too seem to have one of those business models that just doesn't add up.

I have been slowly moving my domains to a registrar that provides redirection services as a backup. Also, ZoneEdit is still around but any other thoughts on this?

Originally posted by conkermaniac
Yes, MyDomain looks pretty stable as long as they have the pay service to back it up.

I think that was what was said about F2s and their other business being able to support the free servers.

Regarding MyDomain, do they register that many domains to cover their costs and make a profit (I think that is what they are after)? Also, they are now owned by NameZero (I think that was who bought them this past year) and they certainly are out to make a couple of dollars off that idea with either ads on the domain or you can pay to upgrade. Just giving the service for free doesn't seem to be the approach of the main company.

didn't namezero start to charge? and cut off all the domains unless you started to pay?

they're now charging 50 dollars + to get back the domain your orginally registered?

Do you think they could be possibly doing the same thing with mydomain im sure it's a very profitable thing to do.

Then again who could ever be that mean =)

jiminsd, while I agree that many free services have gone to the big free toilet in the sky, mydomain's services have been free for some time and I don't think you can predict what will happen. They may get enough funding from domain registrations, or ??? Scary when namezero bought 'em though, I know...

I have thought of transfering a domain or two to give them support. Their service seems to be better than ever these days with next to zero downtime (hope I haven't just put the kabosh on them) and a nice control system. It would be a difficult void to fill. Who are they a registrar with??? Is it through NameZero? That would be not so appealing.

Originally posted by jiminsd
Who are they a registrar with??? Is it through NameZero? That would be not so appealing.
Yes that would be deeply disturbing, eh? From their site:
You may be familiar with Network Solutions' charge of $35 per year BUT we have arranged for another Registrar - NamesDirect - to offer our members a rate of less than HALF Network Solutions' rate.

NamesDirect's reduced annual rate for mydomain members only is just $14.95 per year. This is a limited time offer so act today!

NamesDirect is the only Registrar to financially support mydomain.com and we would appreciate you supporting NamesDirect by registering your domain through them.
Haven't really heard much of Namesdirect or dealt with them before, but at the same time, haven't heard anything bad either. They are accredited by ICANN'T :D

Last edited:
Back