• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Name Change Policy

How often should you be able to change your name?

• Once a year

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Every six months

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • When you change company/provider

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • When you change your undies

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Never

Votes: 8 15.7%

• Total voters
How about;
1) Users are allowed to change their name once a year, to whatever they want (as long as not stupid like 2 letters or offensive)
2) Users that registered with a name representing any host are allowed to change their name to anything BUT one representing another webhost
3) Users that have changed their name due to 2) are only allowed to change their names once a year, to whatever they want.

So if a user registered as:

WebHost1_Brian

And wanted to change their name they could not change their name to something like

WebHost2_Brian

But could only change it to Brian or whatever.

However, a year later they would be able to change their name to

WebHost2_Brian

Same rules apply - they can change it again to Brian (or whatever they want) but have to wait another year before they can change it again to add a Webhost name to their own.

I guess Colin's idea is okay, but they should only be allowed to remove the host part of their name. For example, if it was WebHost1_Brian, they could only change it to Brian.

Colin's idea is good, But how would mods keep up with who's done what?

EDIT: Is there a comment section where Admins/Mods can put comments about each member? Maybe it could be noted in there ;)

I like Colins idea. We do have a list of all name changes in a thread only visible to moderators so we can keep track of things. It would certainly be better if vB had included previous usernames somehow in each members profile page automaticly.

Speaking of the Devil.... can I be changed to "Chris L."?
Thanks
Chris L
PS: TheFreeWebHost.net is for sale to anyone who wants it... I am starting a dyslexia resource site.

Can we also make it so that people have to have their last username in their custom user title for a period of time (e.g. min. 1 month) (even if they don't get custom user titles yet).

Good idear Colin, Take Tso for example i kept thinking to myself who the heck are you untill he put it in his title

that is why i asked him to do that. :p i always request people to do that, and so does Colin most of the time. so yeah, it would be nice to have this enforced somehow.

I have to agree. Being absent for a couple of days, I came back and would have had no clue who Judge Fudge was until seeing his user title. :p

I see no point in forcing someone to use a company username they no longer represent or own. In that case they should be allowed to change to a normal username. But if they have a normal username and wish to change to a company name within 1 year of changing the last time, I would say no. I think the current rules are fine, but could use this small change.
Sounds good to me :)

Still think if a user is to have a reference to a host in their username the host owner should have to okay it first :)

With a proviso that they can't force him/her to change it under a year should the employment cease? :p

Agreed then the host is responsible for the decision :D

or

You could put a capital X at the start of the username to make them feel silly :p

Another possible way is, only allow changes on names with a good reason. Such as change of business.

Heres my idea:
One change of name per year. If you change companies you can change your name to "anything[DUNCE]" <dunce smile that we don't yet have. [Dunce] would be added in the "HTML after username" for usergroups. Just make it a secondary usergroup.
If you want to change your username for any other reason before the year is up, Pay $5 USD to the mod who changes it and $5 USD to Peo.

Peo, how do you like my idea?

Back