• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

nameserver setup -- redirect to a backup server?

JustinNoel

Hi.

I just need a little tutorial here. I went around google, but still I am having doubts. here's an example setup:

Main domain: KKK.com. DNS in 3 different servers.

ns1.KKK.com - server #1
ns2.KKK.com - server #2
ns3.KKK.com - server #3

Am I correct here?

If ns1.KKK.com fails to get a reply, it will load the KKK.com domain from server #2. If the DNS for ns1.KKK.com and ns2.KKK.com fails, the domain will load KKK.com domain from server #3.

Once lines get back up from ns1.KKK.com, it will automatically load again the domain KKK.com from server #1.

I just need clarifications. If I am incorrect, I will need suggestions on how to do this kind of setup. Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Yes & No.

In theory - yes. In practice - no.

First Issue: nameserver IP's are not always loaded in that order, thefore, some people might get to #1, some #2, some #3, meaning if you have dynamic content, you could be fudged.

Second Issue: Most(All?) ISP's these days "cache" the IP's of a final record for upto 48 hours (Some only cache for an hour, ect). Meaning that if they cache #1, ALL users will be directed to #1, even if its down.

---

So Basically. Yes - It will help to reduce downtime. But no, your site may still be "down" for some people.

I see.

Is there a possible way to redirect the domain to another server incase the server #1 goes down, and get back to server #1 when it it gets back?

I see.

Is there a possible way to redirect the domain to another server incase the server #1 goes down, and get back to server #1 when it it gets back?

It is possible. But not easy. If you do not know the network or idea behind it, I would get someone in to do it for you.

Back