• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Nameservers

themoose

Sup, Recoil here.
NLC
Hey

I need major help setting up nameservers.

I logged into SSH for the first time today, so im a n00b, and i dont have WHM.

I've found the nameserver IPs in /etc/resolv.conf, and registered each one to ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com in domainsite. Is this right?

Now what? heh.

Thanks to anyone who can help ;)

You need to register your nameserves with your domain register.
ie:
ns1.mydomain.com = IP
ns2.mydomain.com = IP

tumble

T.M. said:
Hey

I need major help setting up nameservers.

I logged into SSH for the first time today, so im a n00b, and i dont have WHM.

I've found the nameserver IPs in /etc/resolv.conf, and registered each one to ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com in domainsite. Is this right?

Now what? heh.

Thanks to anyone who can help ;)

/etc/nameserverips is the file you should be looking at to setup your nameservers. And have them updated at your domain registrar.

resolv.conf ask your provider what the best settings for this is. Usually the domain nameservers work yes.

James said:
/etc/nameserverips is the file you should be looking at to setup your nameservers. And have them updated at your domain registrar.

resolv.conf ask your provider what the best settings for this is. Usually the domain nameservers work yes.

umm..

-bash: /etc/nameserverips: No such file or directory

and yes i have set up the nameservers with my registrar from the resolv.conf IPs

:spider:

May be an idea to add localhost ip to the resolv.conf.

Specify your operating system and control panel.

James said:
May be an idea to add localhost ip to the resolv.conf.

Specify your operating system and control panel.

Bad move. You should not add localhost or network IP's to the resolv config file.

hosting-shack said:
Bad move. You should not add localhost or network IP's to the resolv config file.

Having a 127.0.0.1 in your resolv.conf is ok.

Back up your statement as to why you should not add this? You cannot.

James said:
Having a 127.0.0.1 in your resolv.conf is ok.

Back up your statement as to why you should not add this? You cannot.

google.com

(and actualy WHM... Read what it says about the resolv.conf file :p) Maybe you need to back up YOUR statement... lol

Sorry, you sold all your "hosts". (within the space of a few weeks of "massive launching")

Kiddie, without the host. Excuse me.

James said:
Sorry, you sold all your "hosts". (within the space of a few weeks of "massive launching")

Sigh. Maybe a Mod should delete both are posts, as even I have gone off topic as well. But really James, read the manual again, and do use Google before making quotes like you did. If I know more than you, and can research the matter before shouting my mouth off it means you’re even more of a kiddy than me.

And the reason i sold was because of personal reasons. I cannot offer the support I once use to, due to a death in my Family. And if you’re going to mouth ME off for being a kiddy host, please get your facts straight first. You arguing with me just proves that you are the kiddy here, all the symptoms are there... you won’t research something, you always think your right, and you argue with people when they say your wrong.

James said:

:shame: Some body woke up on the wrong side of bed today :p. :biggrin2:

James said:

''Good'' ''Old'' ''James'' :p

OK here's what i've done so far.

In resolv.conf, i found something like this:

Code:
nameserver xxx.xx.xxx.xxx
nameserver xxx.xx.xxx.xxx
nameserver x.x.x.x

Then i registered nameservers to each individual IP

Code:
nameserver xxx.xx.xxx.xxx is ns1.example.com 
nameserver xxx.xx.xxx.xxx is ns2.example.com
nameserver x.x.x.x is ns3.example.com

ok, so far, is this right? What else do I have to do?

Back