• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Napster goes down

My only comment on the Napster story, type "about:mozilla" in a Netscape browser. See what it says ...

Hint: What goes down must come up!

are they talking about filtering bootleg mp3's? i heard they want to filter out whatever violates copyright so does that mena bootlegs? if so that sucks, the best part about napster is find stuff you can't buy on cd. its too bad big business wins again.

Well, I'd imagine they'd probably block out searches for every song from every album on the billboard top 200, and probably the most popular searches. Beyond that, I don't know. I don't think they'd block out old and rare stuff even if it is copyrighted.

But honestly I don't think this is a victory for big business at all. There are a million other alternatives to napster and all of them equally as reliable and easy-to-use as Napster. A good portion of the OpenNap servers are offshore, and the RIAA probably can't touch them without a lot of hassle. I mean yea, this might scare off some novice users who don't know anything other than Napster, but nobody can stop the mp3 revolution, which was fastly growing long before Napster existed.

well i am one of them that only know about napster, i don't download popular music, like to download live bootlegs from the likes of led zeppelin, pink floyd, grateful dead, ect. i know there are alternatives to napster but none would have the selection that napster does. especially for the rare stuff i look for.

Anyone tried Audio Galaxy Sattelite? If not, you should. It's quite a bit different than Napster, but after a little getting used to, it works great. It logs some rare songs that people have, and if say you search for that rare song, and no one online has it at the moment, it will automatically download it the second you and the person with song are online at the same time. I still prefer Napster, but this one is a good alternative.

http://audiogalaxy.com/satellite/index.php?SID=4f27f2c0e3d88af7a264c43855481faf

Websites are also a viable alternative. I started out by downloading MP3's off of websites. It's harder than Napster, but there's fun in the search ;)

Originally posted by Coolin
Websites are also a viable alternative. I started out by downloading MP3's off of websites. It's harder than Napster, but there's fun in the search ;)
Fun?? It was fun?!?!?! I didn't think so... half the supposedly MP3 sites are pr0n and warez sites. The ones that weren't had misleading links, pop-ups, ads, were pr0n-packed anyways, terribly slow, and when you click on something like "Britney Spears: Oops!... I Did It Again" it gives you lyrics instead of the MP3 file. Then half the MP3 files don't work at all...

Well...

Well i started off searching for MP3s thru websites too, then thru IRCing, then thru napster. Heard that Napster is still battling for their survival, yes?

Back