• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Need help

Kwek

Devious Deviant
NLC
This problem has been bugging me for quite some time and now I have finally decided to try asking for help here.

Here's the situation I'm in:

There's apparently a problem with the Microsoft's updates, as my Windows received a fatal error after I updated my Windows through Windows Update. I shall not go into details of the error since it is not the point of this post. My dad decided to reinstall Windows without formatting the hard drive first, causing the previous installation of Windows with all its files to be still there. I checked on the Internet to find a possible fix for the corrupted Windows, and some results (one from Microsoft's website itself) showed that there was a problem with of one the Windows Updates. I tried uninstalling several of the updates randomly as those listed on one of the sites were not found on my system - but it did not work.

Anyway, I do not mind the fact that there is a previous installation there but I do care for the space that it is taking up. If not for possible issues with the bootloader as I have installed Ubuntu on a separate partition after Windows was reinstalled, I would have gladly formatted my system after backing up my files. The main problem lies with the fact that my previous documents folder which belongs to me, is taking up over 10GB Space. I checked on Ubuntu, I could see how much resources the folder was taking up but I can't attempt to delete anything through there as I apparently cannot mount a NTFS drive from Ubuntu even after trying those software that were made to do so.

I am currently trying to delete my previous Documents' folder, which is known as 'Ming Hong'. The user account was password-protected and I have checked the setting for the folder's protection, meaning unless it was on that account there's no way I can touch that folder. Since I am on a totally separate Windows installation right now, I am unable to access that user account and hence unable to delete that folder. I have tried everything - from command prompt to recovery console. I have even tried the force delete software Unlocker. None of these attempts worked. I can't just let the 10GB space be wasted, especially when I only have 800MB left on my hard drive currently. Is there any way to delete the documents' folder? All help would be appreciated.

If there's really no fix for this, I suppose I would have to format the entire hard drive and reinstall Ubuntu later on. But it would be much better to ask for help first, at least there's still hope.

For your info, I am running Windows XP Professional SP2.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Your father should have done a system restore, as that keeps all of your [current] My Documents information and only touches the system/program files.

If you want to sit around a while, back up important documents on a CD (Not a DVD, they aren't MS-DOS friendly.) Get your Windows XP (Not a copy, the original) and boot from the CD and start setup. On the blue screen that comes up, go into the partition manager it has and delete the current partition (You can do this in MS-DOS for NTFS Disks by running FDISK and going to Delete NON-Logical Paritions.)

If you can't mount NTFS using Ubuntu, get MEPIS... that can mount NTFS drives via just its live CD.

Last edited:
Your father should have done a system restore, as that keeps all of your [current] My Documents information and only touches the system/program files.

If you want to sit around a while, back up important documents on a CD (Not a DVD, they aren't MS-DOS friendly.) Get your Windows XP (Not a copy, the original) and boot from the CD and start setup. On the blue screen that comes up, go into the partition manager it has and delete the current partition (You can do this in MS-DOS for NTFS Disks by running FDISK and going to Delete NON-Logical Paritions.)

If you can't mount NTFS using Ubuntu, get MEPIS... that can mount NTFS drives via just its live CD.
Thanks for your help, I will try that.

Note if you use the System Restore, any viruses can still return as you just have it inside a stored file. I recommend backing up and formating, start from scratch probably best for this one.

Note if you use the System Restore, any viruses can still return as you just have it inside a stored file. I recommend backing up and formating, start from scratch probably best for this one.
OK... I'll look around more and decide the best course of action. iyeru42 seem to be guiding me to format the partition too though. But yeah, maybe before formatting, I will try to uninstall all Windows Update and I might get lucky.

UPDATE: In the process of attempting to remove all previous updates, I corrupted my current installation of XP once again. Seems like I have a habit of destroying my systems, but right now I am trying out some methods from various places to fix the current installation at least.

Last edited:
My method can't corrupt your system, as it deletes all partitions (which means the removal of all files, sectors and clusters that are formatted on your harddrive.)

The WinXP Setup screens also have a menu for deleting current partitions.

My method can't corrupt your system, as it deletes all partitions (which means the removal of all files, sectors and clusters that are formatted on your harddrive.)

The WinXP Setup screens also have a menu for deleting current partitions.
Yup I know.

Anyway, I manage to fix my current installation which got corrupted in the process of trying to fix the previous installation through the Repair function of the Windows XP setup disk.

Good to hear,

Let us know if you need any other help :).
Thanks. :)

Apparently I am destined to have bad luck throughout my life, yesterday my computer just crashed for no reason. I left it there, went to bath, and when I came back it auto-restarted, and the screen was stuck at the 'Detecting IDE drives' and hence I decided to reset after waiting for awhile. When I resetted, however, I could not boot up the system. Nothing will appear from the monitor and the CD drive apparently isn't working too; so it is not a problem with the monitor. My father was unable to fix it after he came home and he will probably be sending it to a repair shop once he gets the time.

From what I know, no one touched the computer throughout the entire course of my bath. That's what my sister and her friend told me at least.

I feel sad for myself.

Back