• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

need me some sendmail help! ack!!

robin

OK. So I have a server running rh6.2 and sendmail... ehh... 8.9.3 or so, which should probably be upgraded. Not sure if the upgrade will help, but yeah.

By default, sendmail on a.com doesn't accept mail from b.net to c.org unless b.net is in a list of domains in /etc/mail/access... all well and good, but I plan on having a number of POP3 accounts (served currently by ipop3d) and with this setup they can't use my smtp server to send their mail. This is not good. I tried enabling relay_based_on_MX (as well as the one about unresolvable addresses) as a temporary fix, but that didn't work either. So my question...

how do I set it up so that Normal Everyday Internet Users on whatever host can send email through my smtp server? i.e. what do I need to install and configure to do POP authentication? Bah, I'm so confused... help would be very, very appreciated.

Tip #1: Get rid of sendmail. :)

Now to be actually useful this is what you are looking for: http://www.iecc.com/pop-before-smtp.html

That's for the most common POP-before-SMTP setting but if you all have fixed IPs you could just open relaying up to those who have that IP. I would not recommend doing this for IP blocks on larger ISPs due to the number of spammers who constantly scan IP blocks looking for an SMTP server to use.

Good luck.

I would *love* to get rid of sendmail. Unfortunately, the server didn't exactly take a liking to qmail, which thought that the hard drive was full and filled up the maillog complaining that it couldn't append to a bounce message, among other minor problems such as mail generally not working. :)

So I guess I'll be hacking qpopper and editing scary sendmail.cf... well, always up to a challenge :)

Back