• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Need some answers (Starting to do servers)

Itprotj

Hi guys,

Well me and a mate are planning at the end of this year to buy some servers and chuck em in a datacentre.
Just need some answers to a few questions though.
Im really familiar in windows more than Linux but people say linux is really better for servers. Should I deffintly goto linux for the servers or stay with the operating system I know (Windows) ?
Oh and web server wise, Selling web hosting.. What control panel? Is Xampp good to start off with?

Thanks.

Selling webhosting? Xampp? Xampp is not a hosting control panel. Its a webhosting utility for Windows.

You do not seem to understand what a hosting control panel is - A hosting control panel, installs all the services for you, manages users, sets up new accounts, etc. But also manages package updates, DNS, etc.

Xampp, as powerful as it may be, will never be nearly as powerful as needed to start selling webhosting from it. Windows hosting control panels range from expensive to VERY expensive (HELM being an example of that). You will be lucky to find a good reliable Windows control panel, without paying about $300/month

Right. Well. Let me try to put some answers together for you;

YES, learn linux the best you can in the time you have
Reasons why:

1) 90% of dedicated server orders are for Linux, due to the free cost, and open source software.
2) The best control panels are for Linux ONLY. cPanel & DirectAdmin
3) In *most* instances, Linux is more secure than Windows
4) Control panels for Windows are about 20 times more expensive than their Linux counterparts

If you are wishing to sell webhosting to customers, linux really is your only option, most of the shared/reseller hosting market, is taken by cPanel, you will be hard pushed by as a new company to find people interested in HELM or other such windows Control Panels.

If you need Windows go with Windows. That is easier to manage but if you can you can learn linux and run it. The only diffrence I see is price

Hmmm Okay, I'll go with linux then. Which distribution like: Redhat? SUSE, Ubuntu Server? Yeah & I would go with cPanel since I have alot of experience with the panel.

Last edited:
Depends what one you are comforable working with. I'd say use CentOS 5 to start off though.

Awesome, Okay I'll have one windows dedi for now to run Game Servers, and the other can be CentOS for the websites.
Sounding good.... Im going towards Dell Rack Quad core servers, They any good?

Hi guys, another question.

I bought a domain with a really basic domain company that only allows you to set what nameservers to point the domain too. So anyway people told me to start my own DNS Server I have to use BIND9. So really I want to get the domain to goto my server and also have nameservers on it such as: ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com.
I've also heard just use Webmin or Directadmin for it since its simple but in the domain control panel should I just enter in my servers IP for the nameservers 1 & 2? Then use a virtual host in apache to park it? Would that work? As I'm doing that at the moment but have to wait till the Cache resets itself..
Hopefully I didn't type anything too confusing.

Thanks.

Hi guys, another question.

I bought a domain with a really basic domain company that only allows you to set what nameservers to point the domain too. So anyway people told me to start my own DNS Server I have to use BIND9. So really I want to get the domain to goto my server and also have nameservers on it such as: ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com.
I've also heard just use Webmin or Directadmin for it since its simple but in the domain control panel should I just enter in my servers IP for the nameservers 1 & 2? Then use a virtual host in apache to park it? Would that work? As I'm doing that at the moment but have to wait till the Cache resets itself..
Hopefully I didn't type anything too confusing.

Thanks.

You have to setup "Child Nameservers" at your doman register (Sometimes called "Custom Nameservers"). If you cannot find anything at your domain registrar, contact them via support, if they still cannot help you, your need to find a new registrar, namecheap.com works well.

Okay so, How can I become a "Domain registra" I googled a bit and it looked cheaper being a reseller off Godaddy or another domain company. What domain company is cheaper to be a reseller off?

Thanks.

Okay so, How can I become a "Domain registra" I googled a bit and it looked cheaper being a reseller off Godaddy or another domain company. What domain company is cheaper to be a reseller off?

Thanks.

Its not always about price.

For example, Godaddys costs are $99 (or $199) and domains are cheap, the disadvantage is that you cannot sell from your own site/system, they force you to use their limited script hosted by them - Therefore, they have total control, and you have minimal control, when you decide to leave or not renew your yearly reseller account, the domains get transfered over to GoDaddy, so kiss goodbye to your clients.

You then have DirectI, who for the majority, use their own script, but also allow others to use their script via an API, WHMCS supports a DirectI reseller account, but not to a very good standard, all your clients will be able to do, is change contact information & change nameservers. Again, you are limited to what control you have over the domains, as you are reselling for a reseller. The price varies, but trust is high, as the reseller you resell for can pull your account, or up their prices at any moment.

You then have eNom. The most advanced of the 3 I have stated - They have no free custom control panel, but their API is very advanced, they also require high setup costs (Think in the range of $500-$1000), but you have TOTAL control over the domains. The disadvantage of eNom, is the fact that there is not free control panel for managing your domains or letting your clients order domains, therefore, you need to do it all manually, or have a control panel coded for you.

---

All in all, unless you have the funds and time to develop a control panel for eNom, I would not bother becoming a domain name reseller. The stock price is low, but then again, so is the sale price, you would only be making $2 at most per year on a domain, and as your new, people wont trust you.

There is alot of fraud in the domain market, and if your not prepared for it (Which from your questions, your not, you need more experiance) you will get f00ked over and lose alot of money, and be sitting there with lots of domains you cant use.

My advise - before you even go into webhosting, get a job, even for a free host (for free) and expand your know how. If you jump in at the deep end like you are planning, you will drown.

Last edited:
ResellerClub and Reseller.Dotstra.com also offers Reseller Packages.

Both the aforementioned companies provide you with a SuperSite & PartnerSite, which you may use to sell your Domains. On this sites, your customers are able to buy your Domains. However, for ResellerClub, you are required to deposit a minimum of USD$199 into your ResellerClub Account first, before your Account is activated. On the other hand, Dotstra Reseller allows your Customers to pay you first, then you decide whether or not to approve/deny the service your client bought.

The plus about ResellerClub is that it allocates a 'Dedicated Account Manager' to each Client of theirs. For Dotstra Reseller, they activate your Account without any deposit needed.

As for whether or not you will lose your customers when you decide to leave or close down your Reseller Account, as I have not had personal experiences with that.

ResellerClub and Reseller.Dotstra.com also offers Reseller Packages.

Both the aforementioned companies provide you with a SuperSite & PartnerSite, which you may use to sell your Domains. On this sites, your customers are able to buy your Domains. However, for ResellerClub, you are required to deposit a minimum of USD$199 into your ResellerClub Account first, before your Account is activated. On the other hand, Dotstra Reseller allows your Customers to pay you first, then you decide whether or not to approve/deny the service your client bought.

The plus about ResellerClub is that it allocates a 'Dedicated Account Manager' to each Client of theirs. For Dotstra Reseller, they activate your Account without any deposit needed.

As for whether or not you will lose your customers when you decide to leave or close down your Reseller Account, as I have not had personal experiences with that.

Reseller Club == DirectI

Back