• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Need some help

foo2thabar

NLC
My wisdom teeth are impacted and at a 45-degree angle. My jaw was so swollen this morning I could barely open my mouth to take some Aleve. I could barely stand to eat all day. I took some oxycodone about 30 minutes ago and feel amazing, but I only have two more.

Does anyone know any way to find cheap oral surgeons / dentists willing to take out someone's wisdom teeth who doesn't have insurance without bombarding me with huge bills? Maybe one specifically for low-income people?

I'm going to start calling around on Monday. But damn this needs to happen quick.

No clue. The cost was around $1100 when I had mine done, which is pretty much the going rate when they're impacted. When they're not impacted, you can take about 60% off of that cost. You don't want to go cheap with doctors, especially considering that there is a good chance they'll want to give you IV sedation (i.e. knock you completely out) for the procedure. They usually do that when the procedure is going to be difficult, and impacted teeth usually are. It's a pretty extensive procedure to go in there and get them out, and is never something I would trust a simple dentist to do.

wswd: I earn $10,000 a year. I can't afford $1,100. My friend had his non-impacted taken out last week for $1,300 ... I can't afford that ...

I think you're screwed to be honest. I don't know of any alternatives. I don't think you're going to find a doctor who will do it for even 1/2 that price, whic I imagine will still be out of your price range. Dentists out here in California will rarely do impacted wisdom teeth, and instead refer you to an oral surgeon, who are much more specialized and educated than a simple DDS/DMD. Also had an anaesthesiolgist in on mine, and a dedicated nurse. $1100 was probably a bargain for my insurance company, since just filling a simple cavity at a dentist's office will set you back $200. :)

Try these guys?

Ben Massell Dental Clinic 404-881-1858 Dental care for low-income patients
Clayton Health Department 770-961-1330 Dental Care for youth 10-19 plus Medical Services
Cobb Board of Health 770-514-2300 Children Dental Referrals and Medical Services
Dekalb Board of Health 404-294-3700 Dental and Medical Care
Fulton Department of Health 404-730-1211 Dental and Medical Care
Gwinnett Health Department 678-518-5500 Dental and Medical Care

I have had the exact same thing about 5 months ago.
The doctor gave me antibiotica (for my infected jaw) and ibuprofen (heavy painkiller), I took them over 14 days and then all the pain was gone.

One month later I have let the dentist pull them all out.

I think you're screwed to be honest. I don't know of any alternatives. I don't think you're going to find a doctor who will do it for even 1/2 that price, whic I imagine will still be out of your price range. Dentists out here in California will rarely do impacted wisdom teeth, and instead refer you to an oral surgeon, who are much more specialized and educated than a simple DDS/DMD. Also had an anaesthesiolgist in on mine, and a dedicated nurse. $1100 was probably a bargain for my insurance company, since just filling a simple cavity at a dentist's office will set you back $200. :)

Try these guys?

Ben Massell Dental Clinic 404-881-1858 Dental care for low-income patients
Clayton Health Department 770-961-1330 Dental Care for youth 10-19 plus Medical Services
Cobb Board of Health 770-514-2300 Children Dental Referrals and Medical Services
Dekalb Board of Health 404-294-3700 Dental and Medical Care
Fulton Department of Health 404-730-1211 Dental and Medical Care
Gwinnett Health Department 678-518-5500 Dental and Medical Care
Oh my god. Dekalb Board of Health has a dental care area??!! That's amazing, it's in the Grady system, which is Atlanta's socialized healthcare ... I had no idea they did dentistry, too. They fixed my broken hand a year ago for free. I hope they have an oral surgeon. I need to renew my Grady card. I'm going there first ----ing thing Monday morning ... it's maybe a mile from my house ...

Thank you so much, wswd. If they have an oral surgeon, I'm in the income bracket that gets free coverage from the Grady system. I just had no idea they did dentistry .... I'm so ----ing happy, now ... Their web site says they mainly treat ages 3-20 and 65+, but all ages are treated for dental emergencies ... I hope this counts.

My ex-girlfriend's mom gave me some amoxicillin (she's a dentist but her office doesn't do serious oral surgery like you said). She said it's serious, and dangerous, the amoxicillin will only delay the infection, and that I need an oral surgeon ASAP.

Last edited:
You're very welcome!! Glad to help for sure. Hopefully they can get you some help, and more importantly, hopefully you can get on your feet here before long.

Good luck with the surgery! It's going to hurt like hell for a few days after, and you'll have that sexy chipmunk look for at least a week (ha!), but you'll be back to normal before long.

Back