• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Networking two computers to a cable modem?

Rodie

The local cable company that is in charge of cable connections here has a great deal going. They will give you the cable modem and installation for 175 bucks(normally like 300 bucks total for both of them), and its' only 29.95 a month. Anyway, my problem is that I have two computers that I want to hook up to the cable modem.

As I understand it, the connection itself is coaxial (the same cable you use to watch TV), and you plug a Cat 5 cable from the NIC card of the computer into the cable modem. I guess I need to call the cable company to find out if they give you mroe than 1 IP address (I've heard people in different cities talk about their cable companies giving them 3 IP addresses). Because if they don't, I can't use a hub to network them, I'd have to get a router.

If I have to get a router, is there one that you guys would recommend? I don't need anything special, as I just need to network 2 computers using the same IP address, so I'd prefer it'd be relatively cheap.

I was looking at a 5 port for $150, router and hub (with switch). Seemed like a decent price. I think it was a 5 port, maybe 8.

I have a 5 port hub, but I got that before I knew that you needed a router to split the line. Bahhhh.

ok

ok well chicke all you need is a one port router. take the one port on the router and run it into you hub. tada your done.

rodie the best solution is to get a 5 port or 4 port router (i forget which is more common) and run it like that.

the way i have it setup is i have a proxy server but that is very complicated unless you know about networking conmputers. but that is another route. send me an e-mail and i will tell you more.

Re: ok

Originally posted by Epgs
ok well chicke all you need is a one port router. take the one port on the router and run it into you hub. tada your done.

rodie the best solution is to get a 5 port or 4 port router (i forget which is more common) and run it like that.

the way i have it setup is i have a proxy server but that is very complicated unless you know about networking conmputers. but that is another route. send me an e-mail and i will tell you more.

Well, I know a little bit about networking computers, but I'm sure setting up a proxy would be way over my head. Maybe in a few years when I get some more training ;0

In the mean time, do you think this router would be sufficient?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...9442502/sr=1-2/ref=sc_e_2/105-1707510-0482338

I wouldn't neccesarily buy from amazon, I'd shop around a bit, but this router appears to be designed specifically for sharing a cable modem connection. It also appears (going by the comments on amazon) that this router is very mac-friendly That's good to know since I'd be networking an imac and a new PC.

It's also nice that it has 4 ports since I might hook up my dreamcast to it (when the broadband apaptor finally comes out for it), without having to spend 30 bucks for a hub.

yes...

yes that is perfect linksys make the router that you want to get. they are easy to install and configure. i highly reccomend them. trust me they are the best. and the best price is here http://shop.outpost.com/cgi-bin/bv....v_podpass=true&form%bv_topcategory_name=PCtab (sorry for the long url) but they have free overnight delivery and are the same price as amazone.com (these people outpost.com are very good. i have shopped with them many times and are very happy.)

so good luck

my cable company gives you 2 months free, free installation and a free cable modem as long as you stay with them for a year.. AT&T @home cable..

umm.. anyways.. alot of people in my area network their cable with a regular hub w/ 10/100mbit networking cards.. i do the same.. but i use windows 2000 and a proxy server to network the internet (that means the other two computers are under a firewall)

Originally posted by Jerry
my cable company gives you 2 months free, free installation and a free cable modem as long as you stay with them for a year.. AT&T @home cable..

You're lucky. The cable company here also uses @home for their cable connections, only it's done through Cox Cable instead of AT&T. Guess they just like to assrape their customers here. Another alternative is Qwest DSL. You get 256K hookup for 35 bucks a month (20 for the DSL, and 15 for your ISP). And they have a decent deal going now where you get a free modem and free installation. Guess I'll have to figure out one or the other.

Re: ok

Originally posted by Epgs

I tried to follow that long URL you posted but got a 404, not that it was what I needed. Any idea of how much one of those jobbies costs? One port router eh? Hmmmm....

Off to search for one....

Back