• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

New Forum Section Proposal

Is it a good idea?

• Great idea, why didnt I think of it.

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • Stupid idea, i cant believe how dumb you are.

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters

iBrightDev

Jay Street
NLC
NLC
I would like to propose that we get a new section under the programming help section. It would ideally be for coders only to start new threads, and supply the community with free scripts that are always being asked for, such as email forms. IMO it would be fine to have anyone post scripts there, but, then we may get alot of crap and beginner scripts, so, maybe restrict access to posting threads to only members that are known for writing decent code. here is my list for the people i think should be able to post there...

KrakJoe (that is obvious)
Tree (another obvious choice)
StuffRadio
Colin
Jonny`
and me, methodcomptech

there may be others that i missed.

please vote if you think this section would be good to have or not, and if you think it is, please say why and who you think should be able to post (either everyone or restricted) if restricted, please post a list.

also, if you are a good programmer, and you would like to be added to the list, if it was to be restricted, then post your name too.

We have the ads and offers forum for that ;)

not for ads and offers. it would be for people to post FREE scripts, not paid ones. say i make a really kick butt email script and i want to share it, i simply start a new thread, and post it. then other people can reply to the thread like normal, and even improve on it if there is a way to do so. :D ads and offers if if you are looking to sell a script or something, or if someone wants to pay for something.

I think it's an Ok idea - wouldn't be my first pick for a new forum section. But then, it would be cool. :)

not for ads and offers. it would be for people to post FREE scripts, not paid ones. say i make a really kick butt email script and i want to share it, i simply start a new thread, and post it. then other people can reply to the thread like normal, and even improve on it if there is a way to do so. :D ads and offers if if you are looking to sell a script or something, or if someone wants to pay for something.

Free stuff already goes into the Ads & Offers forum (I put the OvBB Developer position in there too, no one would have been paid for that.) Or is this for "showing off" scripts?

I voted no, just because I wanted to say you were dumb and it was a stupid idea :p

I was shocked to see I was the first to do so.

Also, in my view, we need to lose some forums, not add new ones, even though the idea is pretty good actually.

In closing, ---- you MCT. :devious2:

Free stuff already goes into the Ads & Offers forum (I put the OvBB Developer position in there too, no one would have been paid for that.) Or is this for "showing off" scripts?

well, i am not sure if anyone even knows to look there for free scripts since it is Ads and Offers. i never go there unless i am trying to sell or buy something, so, the free script section makes more sense to me. and no, not for showing off scripts. if it was for that, then KrakJoe would totally win that, hands down. there is no need for showing off. it is simply to help people obtain scripts that they may be looking for.

You shouldn't restrict who is allowed to post. Other than that, it's a nifty idea.
i only say restrict so we dont get a ton of crap, or postings for help with free scripts. that is what the programming help section is for. but yeah, either way.
I voted no, just because I wanted to say you were dumb and it was a stupid idea :p

I was shocked to see I was the first to do so.

Also, in my view, we need to lose some forums, not add new ones, even though the idea is pretty good actually.

In closing, ---- you MCT. :devious2:
lol, ---- you too. :devious2:

Last edited:
Then your idea is not going to win a lot if that's how you feel. Plus, people can ask for where to get a particular script in either the HTML / Web Design / Programming forums (Like I do)

Then your idea is not going to win a lot if that's how you feel. Plus, people can ask for where to get a particular script in either the HTML / Web Design / Programming forums (Like I do)

you are missing the concept and once again just trying to be negative. so, i will explain one more time. yes, there is a programming place where you can ask for help, but, imagine in a perfect world where there is a place that you can go to get a script that is already made, and is what you are looking for. that would be this new section.

example:

iyeru: "hmm, i need a php email contact form, i will go check the new FWS free scripts section." now in the free script section, "oh, look, there is exactly what i need. now i dont have to be annoying and ask for a script that pas already been posted 20 times because i found exactly what i need right here. wow, this new section sure is great."

so, now you understand, or do you still want to be negative and be all like, oh, i am so high and mighty, "Plus, people can ask for where to get a particular script in either the HTML / Web Design / Programming forums (Like I do)"

see, opinions are fine, but, when you are always negative, except when you are relying on others for feedback and help, it gets really annoying. try and be a little more open minded, and think a little more about my original proposal before looking for any way to shoot it down. if you still feel it is not needed, that is fine too.

This is a great idea

I would like this but restricting members is going far with it all members should be able to post their scripts not allowing them to do that would be mean and heartless i mean they might just be beginners looking for feedback and positive promotion on their script

Think hard

Agreed... maybe have a section in that forum where there are approved and denied scripts.

denied scripts will be left comments how to improve(you can do the same with approved ones)

and Approved scripts will be able to... be approved lol

I like this idea, Alot of people like krakjoe are always making things that are helpful to us, They dont do it for money ect and cant be excepted to repost it every week just so more people can use it..
This idea would enable people to be able to submit helpful scripts and not get lost in to cyberspace so quick.
Only issue I see is we then have to work out whats classed as a useful free script and what should be in ad's and offers.

The new version of vB has the option to mark threads by several pre-defined tags when you start a thread. For the Programming section we could for instance have "Free script", "PHP Help", etc. I think those will be clickable to see just the ones tagged "Free script". So in essence it will be a better form of subforums for not so active sections. What do you think?

Minefield MCT, and you can't restrict who is allowed to post, say a real noob comes along that's s*** hot and can't post a script.
How does anyone know how good they are?
Suppose you could use the 'Forum Leader' method instead though.

The new version of vB has the option to mark threads by several pre-defined tags when you start a thread. For the Programming section we could for instance have "Free script", "PHP Help", etc. I think those will be clickable to see just the ones tagged "Free script". So in essence it will be a better form of subforums for not so active sections. What do you think?
Tags could work really well, That would help make searching for scripts user friendly too :)

Or get negative comments. :p
in your case, that is what we would expect.
Minefield MCT, and you can't restrict who is allowed to post, say a real noob comes along that's s*** hot and can't post a script.
How does anyone know how good they are?
Suppose you could use the 'Forum Leader' method instead though.
that would be great
that is what i was really trying to get at, but, wasnt sure how to explain it, so, restricting was the only thing i could think of. :p thanks

Back