• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

No free VPS requests, please?

wswd

Premium
Premium Member
With a lot of the s*** the mods receive here every now and again, we shouldn't forget to dish out the praise too.

First the request form, and now this? Way to go Peo!!! Bravo!

Last edited:
Good enough I think. When I saw that thread appear I was like "Oh my god here comes another round of lashings."

So, only 1 or 2 then?

If those are legitimate I guess we can accept it to be posted here. If you have an interesting project where you need a vps and are willing to put some ads up on your site or do post2host... ok. Maybe you can get a sponsor here willing to let you do that. In this case it was posted in the Paid hosting section and it didn't contain any info other than free and vps.

I think it would be best to disallow them for the time being though. To date there are extremely few providers that offer them at all, and at least two of those three listed raise question with me on their overall quality and stability.

Now down the road it may become more practical, and at that time we will see an increase in providers offering it, but at the moment it is such a rarity that it probably is best to just not allow it at all.

Out of all 3 of those, 2 can barely get anyone to contribute servers, and 1 of those is run by mtwiscool...yes, the former FWS mtwiscool.

So out of everywhere on the Internet, there is 1 who actually provides a handful of free VPSs here and there.

People have been after free dedicated servers since I joined here, what's the difference :p

Then let's compromise this one and make a form specifically for requesting sponsored hosting to be used for such things as VPSs, Dedis, SA-MP, and Minecraft servers where the sponsoring host is not to expect any reasonable compensation for their services.

Since it is true that such things do actually happen from time to time, but requests for them appear far more frequently than they are filled.

And with so many free hosts struggling to stay afloat at all, mosts "free hosting" requests for such things get swept away as unreasonable or improbable.

That way we can at least cut down on the amount of generic unreasonable request responses or even any potential issues between members that such requests generate, as they would be easily identifiable as something that probably will go unfilled due to either size or type.

The 2 websites that offer them that are alive both use sponsored VPSes offered by several hosts.

I am not standing exactly neutral in this conversation as I am working on a website like that myself.
But in my case I don't use 3th party VPSes but my own.

Hmm... If asking for free VPS and free dedicated servers are allowed, then can I post to request asking for 1 whole 42U rack full with servers connected with 10Gbps cable for free?
I would be glad if someone is generous enough to "spunser" me this.
Hahahahhaa

Hmm... If asking for free VPS and free dedicated servers are allowed, then can I post to request asking for 1 whole 42U rack full with servers connected with 10Gbps cable for free?
I would be glad if someone is generous enough to "spunser" me this.
Hahahahhaa

A company offering that doesn't exist. The dilemma here is that it was brought to my attention that there are one or two companies offering free vps in exchange for posting. So, why should we not allow it if it exists? The worst thing that could happen is the op doesn't get any replies. Or replies saying "there is only one company offering that".

Now, the one I put an end to was posted in Paid hosting requests and it wasn't mentioned if he accepted ads, nor if he accepted post2host.

A company offering that doesn't exist. The dilemma here is that it was brought to my attention that there are one or two companies offering free vps in exchange for posting. So, why should we not allow it if it exists? The worst thing that could happen is the op doesn't get any replies. Or replies saying "there is only one company offering that".

Now, the one I put an end to was posted in Paid hosting requests and it wasn't mentioned if he accepted ads, nor if he accepted post2host.

Now I must mention it: It was posted by the automated form. Yes, the one you made for hosting requests. It did itself post it in free hosting offers. Guess I must refill it again with more info?

No. You used the Paid hosting request from and put 0.00 in the budget field.

I think you got the replies you wanted in this thread, so no need to repost it.

Back