• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

opening dedicated server for counter strike

XeonGX

hello
ive been trying to open a server for counter strike
i have steam and i bought the game

but it will always show IP like 192.X.X.X for the game
and my IP is diffrent than that

my friends cant connect to the server

so i tried myip:27015
cant connect

i try 192.X.X.X:27015 works for me but doesnt work for my friends

i heard that the porblem is with port 27015

i have Bell Sympatico DSL internet and the internet is not under router or anything, i only have one modem

so anyone plz help me figure out the port 27015 issue cuz its driving me nuts :tired2:

thnx:classic2:

If you're getting a 192.*.*.* IP, you have a network of some sort.

You're modem probably has built-in routing with NAT. You'll likely have to open the port.

Without knowing what modem you have I can't tell you what the IP is, but try 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1.

Last edited:
Also, some ISP's don't allow the use of running public servers, check their TOS, or else you could find that they will cut off your internet in a heartbeat.

i tried opneing 192.168.2.1

it shows

Connection
ADSL connection: UP (Fast-G.DMT)
Internet connection: UP

Connection Information
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
DNS Server Address #1: 0.0.0.0
DNS Server Address #2: 0.0.0.0
Modem IP Address: 0.0.0.0
System Summary
System Type: SpeedStream 4200-Series
Config Part #: 0-0-0-0
Firmware Part #: 0-0-0-0
MAC Address: 00:00:00:00:00:0

Last edited:
The IP Address field is your IP.

Also, I would recommend editing your post and deleting all that info...that should be something you should keep someone private.

Here is the problem:

192.168.X.X are private IP addresses. They are reserved for use inside a private network, not accessible from the internet. In order to reach the internet, all the computers on a network with a 192.168.X address pass through a gateway (a firewall, or router. Lets use router.). The router has an external IP address, which anyone on the internet can see. In the information you have just posted, your external IP address is 65.93.216.239. If you want your friends to connect to your sever, that is the address they need. But it isn't that simple...

<lecture on network address translation>

Say you are browsing the internet, donwloading illegal mp3's from some filesharing service, and chatting on MSN. To prevent all this network activity from getting all tangled up when it gets to your computer, each of these programs talk on different port numbers. When you are a client, it usually doesn't matter much what port number you have. When you make a request to google, your browser will randomly pick a port number and tell google (via your router) "And send the reply back to....oh...port 1025 will work for now".

On google, it is different. Since you are initiating the conversation with google, google doesn't have the means to tell you what port to connect to. That is why servers always use well defined port numbers. Web servers run on port 80 by default. Your web browser KNOWS that google will be on port 80, and so connects to that port for you by default. When you SSH to a website, you use port 22 by default. When you play counter-strike, you connect to some other WELL DEFINED port (27015?).

What the router does is something called network address translation, or NAT. When you want to view a website, say google.com, your computer sends a request to your router on some random port (say, port 1025), to be forwarded to google. Your router see a request coming from an internal address (192.168.2.1), and makes note saying "192.168.2.1 just sent a request to google from port 1025, so if I get a response in the next couple seconds, I'll forward the response back to 192.168.2.1 on port 1025". Google only sees a request from the external address 65.93.216.239, and happily replies.

When the reply comes back, your router will do exactly what it has promised: forward the reply to 192.168.2.1 on port 1025. That is how your Internet browsing works, or any "client side" application.

So why can't my friends just connect to 65.93.216.239 on port 27015?
If your friend tries to connect to port 27015, your router will say "Why is this guy trying to connect to my port 27015? I'm not waiting for a reply on 25535 to a request that one of my internal addresses (192.168.X) sent out. I'll just tell this dude whatever he's trying to connect to won't work."

What you need to do is configure your router to port forward. Tell your router "Anything you get from on the internet on port 27015, can you please forward that to my machine 192.168.2.1? Oh, and forward it to port 27015...cause that's what port my counter-strike server is running on." The exact steps to do this will vary, but consult your routers manual. Shouldn't be too hard to set up. You will probably start by browsing to 192.168.2.1 and finding the config area.
</lecture on network address translation>

Man, Saturday sucks when your drinking buddy has an office Christmas party.

Last edited:
Technically, yes, he does have a router. The DSL modem acts as a router in this case. Now, the question will be how to configure port forwarding on it, and if it is possible.

Oh yeah, so hard to route between one in port and one out port.

AFAIK, I have not seen a port forward feature on a modem before.

OP, could youo tell us the model of modem?

The Westell 6100 modem/router that came with my new Bellsouth FastAccess DSL can do Port Fowarding ect. But the modem is so weak, game serving and bittorrents lock it up where it has to be reset ect. So I have the modem passing through to a Lynksys WRT54G router. It can handle the pressure, and lets me do a lot more fowarding ect to my 3 computers and one server.

i cant access any control panal that can let me allow forwarding ports,

only thing i can open is

http://192.168.2.1/

when i go there, its already logged on with my bell id and pass

and i only have 3 menus

Setup: shows the login info, and logout, login

Status: shows my ip and other stuff that i can get with command ipconfig

Mode: shows reboot and reset and rastart button for the modem

i cant see anywhere something like port forwarding :<

Manual says:
To configure port forwarding:
1. Select Setup>Port Forwarding from the left navigation pane of the Web interface. This displays the
“Port Forwarding Configuration” window.
2. Under Add/Edit Entry, do one of the following:
• Select the service you want to configure from the Select service by name drop-down menu.
• Select the protocol you want to configure from the Select protocol drop down menu. This can be
TCP, UDP, ICMP, or GRE. If you select TCP or UDP you must also specify either a single port or
range of ports that apply.
3. Select one of the following:
• Redirect selected protocol/service to this router
Select this option if you want inbound traffic forwarded to the SpeedStream.
• Redirect selected protocol/service to IP address
Select this option if you want inbound traffic forwarded to a host located on the LAN. In this case,
you must specify the IP address of the host on which the server resides.
4. Click Apply.

Last edited:
there is nothing
no advanced

i dunno
i only have the 3 menues that i said before

is there any other way to forward the port

Well, maybe it has been disabled by your ISP or something (loading custom firmware on the box). Maybe call them up and ask them how to enable port forwarding? Of course, hosting a server is against their policy, which is why they would disable port forwarding in the first place...

Back