• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

OS continously Crashing

The Red Guy

Dork
NLC
My computer has been crashing continously for quite some time, and even if I use it, for about 50 mins there's bound to be a jam or something bad. Any ideas on solving it? I've tried defragmenting the disk, scanning everything.

time for a reformat I guess.

Well if you're using Win9x, there are bound to be crashes everytime.

Originally posted by trenzterra
time for a reformat I guess.

Well if you're using Win9x, there are bound to be crashes everytime.
Any other way? I don't want to lose all my files, although I can back-up. But it's gonna be messy, and things are bound to be lost.

i recently got some new (cheap) ram that made my system sooo unstable that i couldn't run more than 1 window at a time! i got a refund and will be sticking with my HP ram until i get a new pc.

Originally posted by chicos
i recently got some new (cheap) ram that made my system sooo unstable that i couldn't run more than 1 window at a time! i got a refund and will be sticking with my HP ram until i get a new pc.
I didn't get new hardware, except for a mouse.

Well, maybe try unintalling your new mouse, and see if that fixes, or format and reinstall. You should format and reinstall often, it will make a huge difference.

You may also check how many programs are running at startup, you can download some software off download.com to check that (or run that win 9X program that I forgot what it's called).

Originally posted by Canuckkev
Well, maybe try unintalling your new mouse, and see if that fixes, or format and reinstall. You should format and reinstall often, it will make a huge difference.

You may also check how many programs are running at startup, you can download some software off download.com to check that (or run that win 9X program that I forgot what it's called).
Strange, my mouse provided no software like the others. And what do you mean by formatting? Thanks!

Originally posted by is0lized
also ditch winme its the death of you!
Have you tried it? I don't have any problems with it crashing and I have used it for a long time.

It is probably some software conflict. Or too much running in the background. Use the msconfig and disable unnecessary files on startup as suggested.

As for formatting, that is something I would only do as a last resort. I haven't had to do it for over 2 years *touch wood*

No, you may not need to format, but it's good to clean up your computer. Makes it run hella faster. And yes, MSCONFIG, that's the program.

Also, try Adaware, it will cleanly delete any spyware components running.

Originally posted by The Red Guy
Now it's better, but whenever I play graphically intensive games such as RTCW it jams!

Playing RTCW with 128MB RAM?? How much frames you getting on that? :eek:

Back