• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

PayPal and LibertyReserve

deanhills

I once tried out PayPal and could not get rid of them soon enough. I consider them no one's Pal at all. I've just noticed someone advertising Paid Hosting for payment through either PayPal or LibertyReserve. I never heard of LibertyReserve before. I Googled LibertyReserve but would be keen to learn what others think of LibertyReserve and what their experiences have been.
:)

PayPal (which is owned by eBay) are a bunch of greedy fee grabbing ----s. FeeBay and PayPal both need to rot in hell and die a horrible and painful death. That company is so damn greedy it's not even funny. When a seller sells anything on eBay, you have to pay: listing fees and final value fees. Not only do they charge the final value fee based on the price that your item sells for, but they ALSO take a cut of what you charge for shipping too! Then on top of that, PayPal takes their fees. In the end, those -----es take nearly 20% of your money. It's highway robery and it pisses me off to no end. In all honesty, I'd rather NOT accept PayPal because of the fees, but since they seem to be the standard for online payments, what option do you have besides alienating a huge number of people?

I know nothing of liberty reserve other than it's another payment processor. That is all. Nobody that I have encountered has ever asked if we accepted it, so I don't feel that it's very popular, at least not yet.

Unfortunately agree with the above but I'll look at 'the other one' never heard of it either till I searched.

Oldest, safest and most popular payment processor operating in Costa Rica

Thanks for the feedback. Amazing that PayPal could still be around as there are discussion forums that are completely dedicated to complaints about PayPal and EBay. Probably because there hasn't been a decent competitor yet to EBay? After my experience with both of them I won't touch either of the two with a bar pole. Besides which I think there is a huge conflict of interest there as well on the side of EBay.

Didn't know there were so many complaints for PayPal hmmmm interesting... Liberty Reserve never heard before maybe you should try MoneyBookers

PayPal, Ebay and now Gumtree should be taken to task worldwide by monopolies commissions, they are doing the whole thing Microsoft got gunned down for, anti competitive behaviour.

Simply speaking if company 1 says we're the only real choice then company 2 is a poor second so go with us - and by saying I mean controlling and buying.

Ebay already should be hung drawn and quartered for restrictive practise where only PayPal is allowed as a payment method for certain sections/auctions/sales which means Ebay compounds charges (I believe, but will check again, this is not allowed in certain countries) as in Ebay fees then PayPal Fees which go to the same company for the same transaction, and they don't even bother to wear a mask and wave a gun but get away with it.

I'm looking at a new merchant now to get shot of PP as it works but for example went down a few years ago during a £1000 transaction resulting in me loosing the transaction and the business, as the deal was done and saying my payment processor was offline just hacked off the client who pulled out thinking I was pulling one for credit card info.

I've heard of liberty reserve but never used them. I stuck to using paypal and alertpay for all my transactions. paypal I don't have any problems with and alertpay is basically a paypal clone so no problems there either. A lot of people use alertpay so you could give them a try.

I'm looking at a new merchant now to get shot of PP as it works but for example went down a few years ago during a £1000 transaction resulting in me loosing the transaction and the business, as the deal was done and saying my payment processor was offline just hacked off the client who pulled out thinking I was pulling one for credit card info.
Did you take it up with PP? I remember I had been so livid at the time I insisted that my account be deleted as I just could not trust those clowns with my credit card information. Then when I tried to delete it myself it had gone into a loop, I couldn't do it. That made me even more furious. I then went to the cost of a long distance call and totally exhausted one of the supervisors until he managed to delete it for me. He had admitted that the system was not that great, so I guess I'm lucky to have had him to delete it for me at all. That was a memorable experience along Ace Ventura lines .... Do NOT go in there!

Like everyone said, you simply don't have a choice. Everyone wants to pay with PayPal.

As far as the hosting industry is concerned, I honestly don't know why more people don't use credit card. Okay...I do...they don't feel safe. But at the end of the day, PayPal will not go to bat for you if you don't get the service you were promised, the host just disappears, etc. They could care less and you are out the money. Most credit card companies will issue a chargeback or actively pursue the case to get your money back.

Slightly off-topic, but I had a very large furniture company/chain go out of business on me after taking my money. My credit card company actually took them to court to get the money back. I can only imagine how helpful they would be with something like a $5 hosting purchase gone bad. PayPal could give a s*** less.

I am growing interested in finding a "dark horse" alternative to PayPal that would rather start smaller and grow with principles as the core mission. So far the names emerging here are Liberty Reserve, Alertpay, MoneyBookers. I'll leave it open rather than research them exhaustively today.

Moneybookers have been around a while, had one ages ago and dumped due to having to pay to get your money 'out' bloody cheeky if you ask me, Alertpay I never did try, can't remember why but they also charge for everything. Liberty Reserve, don't know jury still out :)

Ebay already should be hung drawn and quartered for restrictive practise where only PayPal is allowed as a payment method for certain sections/auctions/sales which means Ebay compounds charges (I believe, but will check again, this is not allowed in certain countries) as in Ebay fees then PayPal Fees which go to the same company for the same transaction, and they don't even bother to wear a mask and wave a gun but get away with it.

For the record, yes, they compound charges on the same transaction. eBay take a fee for listing. eBay takes another fee at the end of the auction, a percentage based on the price the item sold for AND the cost of shipping combined. Then PayPal takes a fee, which is a percentage based on the total amount of money received for the transaction, which once again, is the price that the item sold for AND the cost of shipping combined.

eBay has also banned other payment forms in recent years. They now REQUIRE PayPal to be accepted. Sellers can accept other payment forums, but mentioning such in the auction will get it pulled.

Same with NOCHEX, they make sure things are right then allow the payment to be made, then it's transaction over and any further recall is between buyer and seller, and e-gold is back yay :)

Back