• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

php user galleries & bandwith

WebWatcher

Hello,

I want to add a section to my site where users can upload photos to put in there galleries for other users to view.

My question is would this use alot of bandwith if there is over 10,000 people doing this? and what would be the best way to save the photos and bring them up. i.e in db or save in directory.

Many thanks for your time.

A database would be better for monitoring the amount of bandwidth each member uses .... and it will only use a lot of bandwidth if you allow hotlinking to the images ... if you setup a sort of slideshow / gallery feature for your members they will probably hand that out and so bandwidth usage will be kept to a minimum, if you however allow them to hotlink to their images for their blog / website this will consume a lot of bandwidth on busy sites ...

A database would be better for monitoring the amount of bandwidth each member uses .... and it will only use a lot of bandwidth if you allow hotlinking to the images ... if you setup a sort of slideshow / gallery feature for your members they will probably hand that out and so bandwidth usage will be kept to a minimum, if you however allow them to hotlink to their images for their blog / website this will consume a lot of bandwidth on busy sites ...

Hey Mate,

What is the easiest way to save them to a db and how do i stop users from hotlink there galleries?

hot linking would be done by checking the http referrer and storing would be done using BLOB's in an SQL database ...

PHP:
if ($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'] == "yoursite")
{
    //show the pic
} else {
    echo "Hotlinking is not allowed!";
}

Back