• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Php

Raptor1

I wanted to host a vb board on free web host.. what host do you recomend ?

did a powersearch...

and
Bootbox
Logical Hosting
Mycgiserver
Phreak.co.uk
Surecity English
Worldzone
X-Mail

are the results. :(

WorldZone doesn't support PHP or MySQL. All they have anymore is SSI. It's sad to see that they're no good now :(.

dont use surecity. theyve been down for months and when they were up, they had a lot of downtime

surecity should be removed from the database

Originally posted by sparkfan12
theyve been down for months and when they were up, they had a lot of downtime

and when they were up, they had a lot of downtime?? so they were never really up. lmao.. not making fun of you.. it's just an odd statement "if they are down when they are up.. are they up or down?"

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense. I'm surprised it hasn't been removed already. It's been down for at least 3 months.(Actually I have no idea. In FWP time, about 7 hosts ago)

free hosts that support php & mysql and can thus support vbulletin:

portland.co.uk
datablocks.net
spites.com

Bootbox - Not recommended, need to register/transfer domain to their expensive registrar to get all the features.
Logical Hosting - Not sure, never heard of them before.
Mycgiserver - I don't think it has MySQL, even if it does, 5 megs is way too little.
Phreak.co.uk - Requires a super wierd site.
Surecity English - Never up.
Worldzone - No PHP or MySQL. No FTP for uploading the files either.
X-Mail - Not sure, never heard of them before.

Ouch, that takes out alot of choices. Perhaps you can try http://www.spaceports.com They have unlimited space (as in starting with 20 megs and upgrading to infinity), user placable banners that pay you 10cents per click, and MySQL on request.

Originally posted by Coolin
Perhaps you can try http://www.spaceports.com They have unlimited space (as in starting with 20 megs and upgrading to infinity), user placable banners that pay you 10cents per click, and MySQL on request.

Coolin, maybe you better read up on things before you post :p. Spaceports Member's CGI-BIN accounts cannot be upgraded space-wise and there's a 1,000 file limit so a active forum wouldn't be able to survive there.

Nick, sorry, I always thought MySQL was offered on the planet servers. And CGI is offered on the CGI server. I never knew that MySQL was offered on the CGI server...

Originally posted by Coolin
Nick, sorry, I always thought MySQL was offered on the planet servers. And CGI is offered on the CGI server. I never knew that MySQL was offered on the CGI server...

PHP, SSI, CGI, mySQL is all available on (and only on) the CGI-BIN.spaceports.com server.

Hell I had no idea that spacports even offered MySQL. Well, it's true I've nere used MySQL, and therefore know very little about it. But isn't 20MB lots for a forum? If you just keep the last 30 days worth of posts, it can't get up to 20 MB, can it? Maybe if you have a very active forum.

when using vbulletin, 1,000 messages uses about 4 megs of space. not sure on member's data files though

I believe what Nick is trying to say is that you can only host the forum on the CGI-BIN server, which only allows 10 megs and 1000 files.

Coolin's right. If you have a forum that makes 2 data files for each post and the forum is already 100 files, you can only have 450 posts then you can't have any more until they are deleted. In other words, don't host a forum there. That's why the SP members use Netfirms for their forums :D.

Back