• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Programing help

BananaMaster

Ok,

I need to know is it possible to lock the mouse and keyoard with vb.net? Also how do you make a process running under the system user.

I need to know this as my brother is starting up a intenret cafe and wants to ba able to lock there mouse and keyboard, he's already got some VNC software.

I've tied out UltraVNC which has a locking function but it's not that good.

There is software to do it to actually run a 'cafe'

Is he trying to run it on the cheap?

Surprisingly - http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=cybercafe+software&meta=

With vb.net - why?

There is software out there and I have one (not telling you as you can look for yourself - I spent ages finding the right one) for a cafe that I run that bills/locks/informs/ from the main terminal - cost about - oh! £200 so not to costly if they can afford a cyber cafe (they'd spend more on cables).

I'm not sure if this will help or not, but it may...

www.handycafe.com

I have personally used that software before and ti works great. They have a free version, but I think it is limited. The paid version isn't very expensive, if I remember correctly.

I see ... its not very often I'll say this ... but I'm not sure that's possible - of course, almost anything is possible, what I mean to say is, theres no Remote.Computer.LockMouse() or Remote.Computer.LockKeyboard(), I imagine there to be a tonne of code involved in achieving it ... you're probably best to buy something already made, even if it were actually me that was opening something and I didn't have to pay myself to program what I needed, I'd be looking at third party solutions before attempting it myself, afterall whatever expenses incurred will soon be worth it if the cafe is a hit, and you could spend months perfecting this software, it doesn't seem worth it ...

EDIT: Oh ... wait actually ... remembering that of course you will have access to all these computers and so can install components ... I think there might be something in socket servers, like have the head machine run a socket server and have a "switch" that sends commands to a computer to unlock it for X minutes when someone pays ... how you actually go about stopping user interaction I'm not sure, it's on the tip of my frontal lobe but I can't get the idea out ... I'm quite sure I'll be back before the end of the day with a proper answer ... no time to think now I must work ...

Last edited:
The one I used to use, tried to look it out and can't find it now, had restart and suspend modes.
Restart logged off and cleared all the caches, cookies, etc. and suspend would blank the screen once the paid for time ran out, it gave warnings before it which you could set.
If I remember correct it only cost a little over £200 so not cripplingly expensive, that was for master and 12 terminals. I'll keep trying to find it.

Back