• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Question regarding the computer

GeorgeB

Chairman/CEO TMCG
NLC
Does anyone know of how to delete files on a cd? I am asking, because I have a few that I want to use for things, but they have stuff on them, and I cant delete what is on there.

Also, I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to give me a step by step instructions on how to make a windows xp cd from my computer. I think I want to redo everything, but I dont have the original operating cd.

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

you can only erase a cd-rw
you cannot create a windows xp cd from a windows xp installation

Thanks wojtek.

I thought you could create a operating cd from your computer? I know my uncle has done it before, but he had a stroke not to long ago, and isnt in the shape to help me remember how to do it.

Because there is a lot of stuff on my computer I want to get rid of, but add/remove programs isn't the best option so I was just going to redo the whole system.

Some custom OEM installs will allow you to create a "recovery CD". For example, on IBM (or Lenovo) laptops. They have a hidden partition that you can boot into, and either start the recovery from there, or burn CDs that you will later be able to boot and reinstall from.

A commerical XP install doesn't have such a feature.

True that, I remember on my old dell it was zztop.bat to perform a reinstall from a hidden partition.

However most store-bought computers come with restore disks.

Here is a question I have regarding the computer, any help would be appreciated.

Let me preface this with, I have a crappy computer. So this is a question from like 2001, but please bare with me.

It's a pIII with 196mb of ram and a 30gb hard drive, however, it does nearly everything I need it for until I can get a new one.

The 30gb of hard drive space is what is killing me though.

I found a 80gb WD hard drive for 50 bucks, and I want to buy it and install it, but I have a few questions.

I have two IDE channels, only one actually has a cable though and it's to my current hard drive and my cd-rw. I also have a DVD-ROM that isn't hooked up to anything right now.

So, should I hook up both of the hard drive on one channel and the optical drives on their own? Does it matter? If that's the case what does it matter if I go master/slave or cable select if I want XP on one drive and Ubuntu on the other?

Would it be better to have the 80 split half XP and half Ubuntu and use the 30gb for storage?

Any help is appreciated.

If I were you, I'd split that 30gb drive in two partitions (windows/linux) and use the 80gb drive for data storage.

As far as I know, there is no difference if you keep two drives on one IDE channel or on separate. I've have setups done both ways and all worked fine.

Linux just needs to know which drive to use and which partition. The linux installer would detect your setup automatically with no problems.

I ended up buying a 30gb drive and just putting ubuntu on it. I am posting from ubuntu right now, it's cool.

a folder named 'i386' containing the Windows installation files is probably in the root directory of drive C: or in your C:\Windows folder.
A big IF. So far i have not seen it on any of the pre-built pc's I've used :)
But good find nevertheless. Thumb Up. But keep in mind if any of those files are infected, the new install will also be :)

If your missing the disks, the best way is to ask a friend to lend the disk and install with your key. Which should be under your laptop or on the back of the pc case.

you can create a boot disk, not an installation disk.

Forgive me as I havent had to do this in several years, but if my memory serves me correctly, the boot disk will only be good if I am having issues loading windows normally correct?

no the bootdisk only allows you to boot from a non bootable cd.

George... u can always borrow a friend's version of xp as long as it is the same service pack and version. Then install with your key.

Here is a question I have regarding the computer, any help would be appreciated.

Let me preface this with, I have a crappy computer. So this is a question from like 2001, but please bare with me.

It's a pIII with 196mb of ram and a 30gb hard drive, however, it does nearly everything I need it for until I can get a new one.

The 30gb of hard drive space is what is killing me though.

I found a 80gb WD hard drive for 50 bucks, and I want to buy it and install it, but I have a few questions.

I have two IDE channels, only one actually has a cable though and it's to my current hard drive and my cd-rw. I also have a DVD-ROM that isn't hooked up to anything right now.

So, should I hook up both of the hard drive on one channel and the optical drives on their own? Does it matter? If that's the case what does it matter if I go master/slave or cable select if I want XP on one drive and Ubuntu on the other?

Would it be better to have the 80 split half XP and half Ubuntu and use the 30gb for storage?

Any help is appreciated.

If I were you i'd connect the 30gb as the master on the primary ide and the 80gb as the slave on the secondary ide. Then i'd have the dvd-rom as the slave on the primary ide and the cd-rw as the master on the secondary ide.

Actually i'd probably clone the partition (using partition magic or some other partition tool) from the 30gb drive onto the 80gb drive and then put the 80gb on the primary ide. I'd then format the 30gb and use it as a storage drive, as a slave on the secondary ide.

Hope this helps ;)

Back