• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Questions About AVI, WMV, and MPEG quality

QReyes

Hello. Newbie question here. When you compress a file to AVI, will it loose any audio or video quality or is it just the same, only compressed? Same question goes for WMV. When you compress a file to WMV, will it loose any audio or video quality or is it just the same, only compressed?

AVI generally other then DivX files are usually not compressed at all. In that for example you can set different bit rates when you encode using a capture card, but if you are using a convertor from e.g a MPG file then it will be the same as the MPG file.
You usually convert an AVI video to a wmv video so therefore it will be compressed and depending on the selection of settings will impact on quality.
For low bitrates, I wouldn't use wmv as it has shit audio.

Thanks. Follow-up question: Which codec or software does a great compression and retain at least near-quality of the video? divX 5.0.5? Windows Media Encoder 9? Or probably anything else I don't know?

It doesn't matter what format / codec you use to compress your files, they will lose quality when you compress them, how much you compress them directly relates to how good your final quality is.

DivX is your best bet if you want the best image quality, coupled with MP3 sound, you'll have a great quality file, assuming high bitrate encoding in each audio and video.

Use VirtualDub (best) or NanDub (works with VBR MP3 audio) for encoding .AVI files, use options in those to select your codec (divx) and sound compression codec (MP3)

WMV tends to be buggy, same with ASF, as they are nearly the same. I wouldn't reccomend it.

It all depends on why you want to compress a file.

I can give more detailed info if you want, I do fair bit of resampling / editing of videos. Just email if I forget to check back here.

Just a couple of pointers, for MP3 players 98k/s is a good rate as you'll not really be able to tell above that & 128-142K/s for video sound quality is a good choice :) That's just the audio side though .

Back