• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Questions about memtest, under-/over-clocking

Wai_Wai

Questions about memtest, under-/over-clocking
Hardware Info
CPU: AMD Althon XP 2500+ (FSB: 333mhz)
Motherboard: Asus A7N8X-X
RAM: KingMax DDR400 2.6V 512MB*2
[Note: I never overclock!]

Recently I ran memtest86 v3.1a (http://www.memtest86.com/). I found some errors in some tests. The details are at the end of the post.

----------------

One possibility of the errors is relating to voltage (vdimm) and RAM frequency.
One suggests adding vdimm because when RAM runs at DDR400, it may need more voltage.
It also suggests lowering RAM frequency to 333mhz may help. It's because my CPU FSB runs at 333mhz. RAM running at 400mhz not only does no help, but even harm your performance.

Question time:
- I don't know much about setting all of them? How to do?
The mother manual is available at http://www.asuscom.de/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/nforce2/a7n8x-x/e1461_a7n8x-x.pdf
I've read it. But don't know how to set. Please help!

- I am conerned about raising RAM voltage. What is its upside and downside of raising voltage? Is there anything I need to know before chaning RAM voltage? Will this harm my hardware?

- I am concerned about unclocking my RAM. I think underclocking should never harm my RAM. But when it runs at a lower frequency, should I set a shorter CL?

- If so, similar questions to RAM voltage, what is its upside and downside of shortening CL? Is there anything I need to know before chaning RAM voltage? Will this harm my hardware?

If you need any further info, please ask me. :p
Or even if you don't wish to read all info here, ask me the info you wish to know, and I can quote for you. :)

Attachment

Memtest report:
=========================================
Test 1: RAM A in DIMM1
I have run memtest for several times.
No error.

Test 2: RAM B in DIMM1
No error.

Test 3: RAM A in DIMM2, RAM B in DIMM3
Errors were sometimes detected, sometimes not.
Errors were found in test 5. 2-4 errors were once found, ranging from 996-1021MB
Errors were found in test 8. 2 errors were once found, in 1002.8 and 1017.3MB respectively.

Test 4: RAM B in DIMM2, RAM A in DIMM3
I have run memtest once.
Errors were detected!
Errors were found in test 10. 9 errors were found, ranging from 535-723MB.
==========================================

Question time:
- From the above results, what implications could we draw?
- I don't think the problems lies on DIMM slots, or it should give rise to a lot of errors, right?
- I just don't know whether my RAM are faulty or not. Should I ask the manufacturer for RAM replacement?

Back