• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Questions about META TAGS...

VLC

1 - if i line-break the sentence that forms a meta tag like as after 'content', so it dont run-off screen, but fits within the window space, does that negatively effect its useage.
eg- 'content' <'qweadd awwsda qwer
wfswf sfd fa'>
- instead of one long unbroken line?

2 - if i put my email adres in the e-m tag, could webots read it to copy into future spamming lists?

3 - if i had unique meta tags an someone copied them into their index page, would that cause their site technical problems as the tags wern't for designed or registered to their site?

If i'm not wrong, google only look at your keywords and descriptions meta tag, while it ignore others.

Originally posted by lowgq
If i'm not wrong, google only look at your keywords and descriptions meta tag, while it ignore others.
Yes but does google ignore either if they're lines are broken, but still within their tags- ie <" *** ">
????

Originally posted by lowgq
wrong. google indexes page content. it doesn't use meta tags

Originally posted by biggulp
wrong. google indexes page content. it doesn't use meta tags
So that means if most other search engines do similar, i neednt bother using any meta tags.!
huh - i guess i've wasted my time then :(

google not only searches keywords in meta tags but also keywords in your pages. try to make very large number of hidden keywords in your pages(e.g. by using the same color of font and background), then your site would be at the top in search.

I believe google searches both, but puts a lot more weight on the "in page" content it finds.

Google also uses link searching (don't know what it's really called) to see how many people link to your site. The more people link to your site, they assume more people like your site, and boost your rank. This does not work with links FROM your site.

Also, big mistake, DO NOT use same colour background / text, as this causes some search engines, (I believe this includes google) to put you waaaay down the rankings, as it knows you are trying to fool them by making the keywords unsee-able.

I know that because some people had that problem, even though they had different colour behind the text using tables... and they were a little pissed off, when they were told about that policy.

I can't remember where I found that out, but I'm very sure on all points.

Back