• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Questions on Servers

Prof_Lupin

My main question is I want to have a server (so I can host my site free of charge and maybe a bit of others).

This is what I have

ADSL (SBC Yahoo) 1.5 mbs High
Pentium 4 2.4 GHz
512 MB RAM
Windows XP Home
80 gig harddrive
Wireless Network (Internet is not on my computer)

I can get eaisly-

Red Hat Linux 8.0
Apache
PHP
MySQL
the works..
Cannot get any hardware updates

So my question is should I make my PC a server? But the problem is sometimes, maybe, maybe my PC might be turned of (I usually keep it on) and sometimes SBC kills itself. Other than that no probs. So should I make my PC a server or should I buy a server? Does anyone here know where I can buy one BTW?

SBC Yahoo! Doesn't give 1.5mbps up. The highest they go is 384kbps up and 1.5mbps down.

So theoritcally speaking, you're upload is from 256kbps to 384kbps. Certainly that isn't enough to host more than 1 site and certainly it can't handle more than 5-10 visitors viewing your site at once... it would become dead slow.

Also, do you have a static IP? So you're IP Will change everytime your DSL goes down.

And last, you plan on having it hooked to the internet wirelessly? Nah, you're latency would be horrible.

I suggest leasing a dedicated servers from say, rackshack.net for $99/mo. for 700GB Bandwidth

Rackshack.net and <insert Nocster reseller here> offer rock bottom dedicated servers.

Instead of hosting from home I would seriously suggest you consider buying one instead.

A recommended Nocster reseller I dealt with once was: http://www.citadelhost.com/

Either route, they are better then doing like your considering.

Good luck! :topic:

Back