• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Ram types

coldturkey

Hey,

How can i find out, without opening up my puter, which RAM type my RAM is? (Like PC2100 etc) Or can you just put any type in, and mix apples with oranges?

P.s. I just found out my new puter can hold 3gig DDR RAM (wow)

Originally posted by coldturkey
Hey,

How can i find out, without opening up my puter, which RAM type my RAM is? (Like PC2100 etc) Or can you just put any type in, and mix apples with oranges?

P.s. I just found out my new puter can hold 3gig DDR RAM (wow)
Look at your motherboard data sheet. If you don't have that look up your motherboard on the web. If you don't know your motherboard see if you can find anything about it in Device manager or your system properties in control panel. Sometimes it is listed. If you don't know look in your bios and if you still can't find it. then you are screwed open up your case ya lazy bum!

Ram can not be mixed not even pc100 with pc133 some different types (size):
Simm
Dimm
DDR
Rimm
ECC
EDO
FPM
RDRAM

then of course there is like
PC133
PC100
PC2100
PC150
PC66 etc

Even if you have let's say a stick of
Dimm PC133 256mb it will not go into a computer that supports PC100 of the same exact kind even though you couldn't tell the difference in looks

Under most circumstances, you can mix both PC100 and PC133 SDRAM modules, however, they will both run at the speed of the slowest (i.e. both RAM modules will run at 100MHz).

But the highest standard for DDR RAM is currently PC2700.

Anything higher is just overclocked stuff.

It is. If PC3200 was an actual standard, then you would see motherboards supporting it.

It's just pre-tested overclocked PC2700. The stuff selling as PC3200 is still good though because it gives that extra bit of leverage to the overclockers, but it just isn't "industry standard" yet.

But anyway...

RDRAM is available in PC800 or PC1066 for anyone who really wanted to know.

I was just giving examples
And the pc100 and pc133 on an AMD for example you will have to set the jumper on your mobo to the 100mhz bus speed and you will get the 200mhz speed on your processor instead of 266 I believe. And in other cases you can only use pc100 if your processor is under a certain speed

Would I be correct if I said that setting the FSB to 133 MHz will not work with some PC100 RAM installed?

Curious...I might jack up the FSB on my PIII 450.

Originally posted by Canuckkev
Would I be correct if I said that setting the FSB to 133 MHz will not work with some PC100 RAM installed?

Curious...I might jack up the FSB on my PIII 450.
Correct in most cases could work but not likely

hey, is RDRAM the best RAM out there? IS it better than DDR SDRAM? cuz i have 512MB PC800 RDRAM in my new pc, and i was wondering whether it was the best ram there was

Technically speaking, RDRAM is supposed to be able to outperform DDR, but testing hasn't proven that to be the case. It's really a toss-up between the two, but DDR is currently winning that race because it's quite a bit cheaper.

You can mix PC2100 and PC2700 but all of your RAM will run at PC2100 speeds, so it would be kind of pointless.

Back