• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Remote desktop P2

Craig

Lifes Good
NLC
Ok, can I connect from a vista OS to XP home?, its not letting me but will I need a dedicated IP or should my shared IP do fine?, cant believe am asking this & am a ISP.......I feel ashamed lol....Colin/Decker HELP ME hehe xx.

XP Home can't be remotely connected to... It is one of those limitations that sets XP Pro and Home apart.

Use RealVNC ;)

Thanks SCD, all working, great stuff :) +rep

No problem...

XP Home can act as a RD client but not a server. MS had to come up with something besides the whole networking features to make XP Home lame ;)

I tend to use RealVNC more than RD because it is cross platform compliant. I can easily connect to a Windows, Linux, or Mac with one piece of software, makes my life easier :)

Well after messing about with RVNC I couldn't get on with it, mainly having to change the input settings so I decided to use www.gotomypc.com which really works well, best thing ever. Would recommend.

I personally have this thing for LogMeIn... I usually install it on all of my computers so that I can easily get to them if I'm away and need something.

But I normally just use RealVNC when on the local network ;)

Better sticking with Real VNC, Ultras a bit tempremental.

PCAnywhere is still a good option, it handles routing and firewalls quite well and can be secured quite well too.

I downloaded the goto free version a while ago to try and still haven't gotten round to it, have you tried it across LAN & Internet Craig?

Hmmm PCAnywhere doesn't support Mac OS X

One of the reasons I love RealVNC so much is because I can easily connect across all of the OSs I use on a regular basis.

I frequently connect from my laptop to my Windows desktop, iMac, and Linux workstation and server

Logmein is good if you want just Windows and I use it when I'm out of town, if VPN is not an option, to get into my home network.

Hmmm how did I not see the Mac OS X listed in the requirements page?

So it does work with Mac... Too bad it costs $199.95 :(

EDIT:

Man I must be out of the loop or something, I just found out that Logmein supports Mac as well

Last edited:
Yeh it's not cheap but it is a good corp level system, any client any host, so it's a bit of a marketplace.

That's one I use for clients who pay for it as it gives the best (I've found) support remotely.

Still though if Fujitsu like Real VNC can't be bad, just cross platform and configuring for routing and firewall issues that kill it in a higher usage class due to client server configuration, but the key generation for securing connections is great :)

i have heard of ways to RDP if you do some reg hacking, but, not sure, and havent dont it yet myself. as for me, i am irritated that i cant get to my laptop from my desktop not or to my wifes computer, but, my wife can get to mine and my laptopo can too. i have vista ultimat on my desktop, home premium on my wifes,and xp media center on the laptop. i just need to get ultimate on all three and then there will be no problem.

i have heard of ways to RDP if you do some reg hacking, but, not sure, and havent dont it yet myself. as for me, i am irritated that i cant get to my laptop from my desktop not or to my wifes computer, but, my wife can get to mine and my laptopo can too. i have vista ultimat on my desktop, home premium on my wifes,and xp media center on the laptop. i just need to get ultimate on all three and then there will be no problem.

MCT,
You should be able to remote into your XP Media Center laptop without editing the registry at all. I'm using a XP MCE laptop and have enabled remote desktop. Just right click on My Computer, click on the Remote tab, and check "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer.
As for the Vista Home Premium, it is possible to enable it, but it requires a little bit of modification. http://www.unet.fi/fransblog/2007/08/30/enable-remote-desktop-connection-on-vista-home-premium/

Thanks for that link CAWUnited!

I didn't think I'd ever get Remote Desktop working on Vista Home. I can confirm that this actually works, I've just tested it. :)

Good to know because I will be picking up a new laptop for the wife soon, and I'm too lazy to walk from computer to computer.

Or, you could enable Terminal Services.

Oh Google it and you will find MS has actually got one to fix it - WindowsXP-KB925876-x86-ENU.exe

Works on all flavours :)

Last edited:
Back