• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

review java game.. thanks

Jerry

Hi..

I'm taking JAVA as one of my high school electives and we recently had a project where we need to make a fun, original game. I decided to make a game where you drive a car on a highway and weave in and out of cars. I thought it would be fun and got the idea from a calculator game I have seen before.

I just finished with most of the code and would like to know how I can improve this game. The graphics are pretty simple right now because I am restricted to drawing with the 2d java graphic library.

Here is the link..
http://www.jsu07.com/highway/ [edited 05/27]

I call the game Highway. It should be pretty easy to figure out how to play the game. All you do is go up and down. Any comments would be much appreciated.. Thanks!

Last edited:
Same as gyrbo
good made, and easy (important for me;)
Congratulations,to the person who made the highscore
(couldn't beat it ;(

seemed pretty easy.. i beat the high score on my first try.. and I wasn't playing too seriously either..

the highscore is hardcoded right now..

it shouldn't be too hard to beat it.. the level gets harder and harder towards the end..

Well that was fun!!!

Till that drunk driver hit me!!! Very nicely done. cool little game. Can you add motor cycles and sirans on players car. As is should still be an A.

Well.. right now I'm adding in trucks.. basically the same as cars except longer.

I'll turn in the game this thursday and at this time I'll figure out how to setup a high score server and record high scores..

I'll probably also use gif images for the cars after I turn it in. I'm not suppose to make programs using gif images and things because when my teacher used to allow it.. some people would just turn in a program that prints out the whole output as a gif image. instead of drawing each and every line and writing all the text and stuff

Originally posted by Jerry
trucks = big rigs

ace0.. what do you mean by sharing it? the source?
I guess he means the game. If your interested, I want the game on my site! I'll give you credit. Please.

maybe when i finish adding more features to it..

i have a version that saves high scores now..

http://www.jsu07.com/highway/ [edited 05/27]

in this version i plan on making the cars gif images and having a loading thing in the beginning of the applet to load images and the high score.. i've never had much luck with sounds so i don't think i'll add sounds..

Last edited:
yes.. i use a thread that loops over and over except when there is a game over or a pause..

also.. i double buffer each frame. .(draw to image.. then output image)

oh.. no i don't multithread in this game.. every car has its own speed.. and each frame they move that speed (which is basically how many pixels Left or Right they move)..

I haven't tried multithreading it so that each car has its own thread. The computers that we have at school are old UNIX 386 or 486s and can't handle much.. even the game right now lags a little.. the fastest computers we have in our java lab is pentiums (586) running redhat linux.. we have a PC lab containing all Dell Pentium IIIs but that is for another class.. then we have an iMac lab.. which is for C++.

cool.. try working with threads, it's a nice challenge to get them set up, but you can probably add some cool features to your game somewhat easily..

anyways.. good job..

heh heh heh

i got board and made a game exactly like the one you made but i made it for windows and yours is alot better

(mine flickers, doesn't have trucks and doesnt record the score)

nice game ive played it like 15 times
heh heh heh I'm getting adicted

i've changed all the links to

http://www.jsu07.com/highway/

uhh.. its not done.. but i don't think i'll be working much on it anymore..

my teacher REJECTED my game on monday :p.. i think she thought i copied somebody's game. so she told me to make a simpler game..

http://www.jsu07.com/rushHour/

that's my simple game :p

if anyone wants to have highway on their site.. i included code on how to do that.. the current version only allows the code residing under my server (bytewire.net) to record high scores..

zazoo.. if you double buffered it.. it won't flicker.. ie: make image.. draw to image.. draw image to frame..

thank's for all the input everyone! if i ever feel bored enough.. i'll update the game... but i don't see that happening soon..

doesn't make sense.. If you can explain every line of code and describe how you implemented the code, you should convince her that you did not copy..

gotta cover your ass...

Back