• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Rudy, the mystery dog

foo2thabar

NLC
Around 6 years ago my mom adopted a young dog (about 1yro) from a Rat Terrier rescue. She has another pure rat terrier she got several years back, but she could tell this one wasn't a pure rat terrier.

After years of guessing we figured one of his parents was half pit bull (APBT, not American Bulldog ... the real pit bulls are about 40lbs), half rat terrier and the other was full rat terrier. He's the same size as a rat terrier, but a little taller, and much more muscular with a block head. Around 25lbs. Average Rat Terrier weight is 15-20lbs.

Then a few days ago she had him at a local off-leash dog park and saw two people with three dogs that looked exactly like him. She talked to them, and found out that he's a Decker Terrier, a mix of mostly Rat Terrier and Basenji with a few others thrown in. I looked it up online, and it turns out it's a fairly rare breed that just missed the brink of extinction about ten years ago. They're bred for hunting, which explains why he can track birds and snatch them out of the air.

Normally I wouldn't post this, but I know there's some dog people here who probably understand what it's like to wonder what kind of background the dog you adopted has.

Not rudy, but a photo of a decker
2410867.jpg

Last edited:
What the Fookinhell, so that explains why I can get those damn birds...

Plus I had a great Rott, happiest slobberiest dog in the world :D and the look you get when they want some TLC is just melting :)

Welsh Springers are great if you have kids with loads of energy, BTW, but go for dogs or be prepared for jealousy if you get a -----. Okay female dog, sheesh, female dog name not allowed :lol:

Last edited:
Yeah, I love my dog man. He is a big baby. We have two annoying puggles too, but at times can be quite cute

268349_2247564793419_1377177147_2707586_8069897_n.jpg

Last edited:
and found out that he's a Decker Terrier, a mix of mostly Rat Terrier and Basenji with a few others thrown in. I looked it up online, and it turns out it's a fairly rare breed that just missed the brink of extinction about ten years ago. They're bred for hunting, which explains why he can track birds and snatch them out of the air.
Any potential for breeding? Looks like a lovely dog. Wish I had one of my own but the Middle East is not really a good place for pets.
:)

Any potential for breeding? Looks like a lovely dog. Wish I had one of my own but the Middle East is not really a good place for pets.

He came from a rescue group; they neuter or spay any dog they acquire. I'm weird about breeding dogs. I'd be okay with it to preserve a rare breed like a Basenji or, apparently, a Decker, but there's so many homeless dogs in shelters and rescue groups here in the US that for most people's needs it's irresponsible.

Last edited:
dude, did you know that Basenji's are one of the only breeds, if not the only breed, that cant bark? its pretty cool. they just make some funny little noises when they are excited. i had a girlfriend in high school that had one. coolest little dog i ever met. i wouldnt mind getting one actually.

dude, did you know that Basenji's are one of the only breeds, if not the only breed, that cant bark? its pretty cool. they just make some funny little noises when they are excited. i had a girlfriend in high school that had one. coolest little dog i ever met. i wouldnt mind getting one actually.
Yeah man, I always thought it was interesting. I'd love to have a Basenji as well, but they're rarely in shelters over here.

I'll likely end up getting a Catahoula when I get to Louisiana. They're medium sized dogs bred for guarding livestock and hunting boar; they're extremely intelligent like the Basenji. My dad had a Catahoula in the 80s and said its personality resembled a GSD ... calm, collected, and fiercely protective of its family. But at the same time extremely playful.

Here's a good picture of one:
Catahoula_Leopard_Flip_11mon-2.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah man, I always thought it was interesting. I'd love to have a Basenji as well, but they're rarely in shelters over here.

I'll likely end up getting a Catahoula when I get to Louisiana. They're medium sized dogs bred for guarding livestock and hunting boar; they're extremely intelligent like the Basenji. My dad had a Catahoula in the 80s and said its personality resembled a GSD ... calm, collected, and fiercely protective of its family. But at the same time extremely playful.

Here's a good picture of one:
Catahoula_Leopard_Flip_11mon-2.jpg
yeah, rotties are very much like that too. good worker dogs on top of it. you moving to Louisiana?

Did you know that female Springers actually say WOOF!
Yes say it! - True, it shocked me too, giving her a telling off and the doggy sound/word woof, never heard a dog actually make the classic sound so well pronounced...

I love my animals to bits, less problems than humans - they don't really care when you walk away midsentence, had a Roborovski Hamster that actually lived for over 5 years, 'vet said no' hamster said yes, big fat cat that buggered off for 3 months, came back a slim sleek one (came back though and wanted fed constantly, didn't happen) she was a sheltered one adopted.

Did you know that female Springers actually say WOOF!
Yes say it! - True, it shocked me too, giving her a telling off and the doggy sound/word woof, never heard a dog actually make the classic sound so well pronounced...

I love my animals to bits, less problems than humans - they don't really care when you walk away midsentence, had a Roborovski Hamster that actually lived for over 5 years, 'vet said no' hamster said yes, big fat cat that buggered off for 3 months, came back a slim sleek one (came back though and wanted fed constantly, didn't happen) she was a sheltered one adopted.
An ex of mine had an English Springer Spaniel, similar dog. That was an awesome dog. Really smart and always wanted to play. Though, their house was broken into one day when her parents were at work (we were both 17, high school) and they poured his dog food out into a popcorn bowl to keep him occupied and were able to take all the electronics and jewelry. When her parents got home he was still munching on the food.

I think he was a little too friendly, haha

yeah, rotties are very much like that too. good worker dogs on top of it. you moving to Louisiana?

Yeah, dude. Probably next month or August. Onto some family land in Central Louisiana. 30 acres, about to be 50 acres. Horse pasture and everything, and a huge lake 2 miles away that's awesome for fishing and safe for swimming (no gators that far north). Well, there are some, but nowhere near as much as the southern part of the state. This past weekend I was at my grandmother's house, about 50 miles southwest of New Orleans in this little fishing village. I was fishing on her dock in the back yard and an alligator surfaced about 3 feet from where I was sitting. Freaky.

Last edited:
Decker, you're looking rather furry these days!

I want to get a puppy within the next year. Either a German Shepherd or Chocolate lab because they're both cute and loyal :)

Last edited:
Actually really a short haired one.

How bout you moderate?

Asking too much...

Stuff, change the title will you.

From - "Super Moderator#1"

To - "sometimes post one liners"

That might do it :)
Might help with the superiority complex your working on too.

Or at least make you read posts you comment on, damn you should do anyway, back to the training course. :lol:

I read all the posts I commented on. Someone else commented on something, and I responded to that. :lol:

why, do people eat them?
They are generally regarded as "unclean". And kids sometimes chase them with sticks. You should see some of the women with cats. They literally freak out when they see any. Definitely not a good place for a dog or cat to be. People keep their animals indoors and I rarely see dogs, if expats do own them they usually try and find accommodation outside of town with plenty of space and security to roam around in.

He came from a rescue group; they neuter or spay any dog they acquire. I'm weird about breeding dogs. I'd be okay with it to preserve a rare breed like a Basenji or, apparently, a Decker, but there's so many homeless dogs in shelters and rescue groups here in the US that for most people's needs it's irresponsible.
All the dogs we've had have been "networked" dogs, i.e. knowing someone who has had a litter and needed someone to take the puppies off their hands.

They are generally regarded as "unclean". And kids sometimes chase them with sticks. You should see some of the women with cats. They literally freak out when they see any. Definitely not a good place for a dog or cat to be. People keep their animals indoors and I rarely see dogs, if expats do own them they usually try and find accommodation outside of town with plenty of space and security to roam around in.

lol, dude, i was totally joking, but, thanks for the info :p

Back