• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Secret to a successful forum?

codeX made another important point: SEO Optimization. Doing this gets more of your pages indexed by Google, some twice or more, and therefore allows people to actually find topics on your site by searching google. I use the FURL mod on my Invision Power Board. It has somewhere around 400 indexed pages in Google.

codeX said:
The normal HTML pages are easy to get listed... But since forums are dynamic you need a lot of links and traffic to you for getting listed in Search engines..

Use some static URL hacks for your forum. This will make your site more SEO friendly :) You need mod_rewrite for apachae installed and enabled to do so.

You can see it here at my forums :)
http://www.c1dudez.com/forum/index.html

Your forums.

I recall you using nulled VB on our promotion hosting account. We suspended your account correct?

And found a new home for the nulled?

I don't get what the point of using a nulled board is, when theres PhpBB, SMF, MyBB, MiniBB, BBpress, EkinBoard, IkonBoard, k4BB, Yabb, MercuryBoard, WoltLabBB, and hundreds of others which I could list, but I don't think I need to.

sitk said:
What do you reckon is a good number of members to aim for? 50? 100? 500?

i have a forum in first 2 years i had just 38 members but it was aline now i have 290 and increasing starting evrything is like this but even if members are less keep the forum alive and put some affiliates(not for money let ppl who are ready to do for sake of forum and don't ask you payment give them banner)

just telling what i did

Well, i think to make forum about animals pets.
Do you think that I can success?
And also website about pets.
Are there too many forums, do you think that i can do that?
Pets, animals- expecially turtles.
???

make it unique.
like games, computers, windows, all that stuff, way lots of boards already. something unique is in mind.

but the post 4 host thing is not smart.
it gets lots of post, and they're all spam. :|

Roflcopter said:
heres a few things.
1. Add uinque modifications, make your site different.
2. Make sure you dont have TOO many forums
3. Make sure your forum is about something with a large audience but not many competitors.
4. Be active yourself, make it your homepage in your browser.
5. Be active on loads of forums, keep it in your signature
6. Tell friends
7. Get more than just yourself involved, get a Co-Admin with loads of influence but someone who can be trusted.
8. Join Affiliate programs.

Hope that Helps

And a few more things to note... do not have too many modfications that you'll get errors. You can always use more staff members at a later time, don't hire too many at the start. Make sure the affiliate program you sign up for is a reliable one (Not those wimpy top100 or top10 sites we always hear about.) Make sure your forum comes with a site and not just the portal page built into the forums itself.

I would have more, but I am running thin on time at the moment.

Doing the fake convos is actually one of the best options.

No one wants to join a new forum. You get your friends in for a week and start posting like mad, then you have a much greater chance of getting people to become active.

Yellowmc said:
Anyway, 1/10 visitors signing up is not bad, just make your home page attractive, make your visitors want to stay.

10% of people signing up is very good for a forum.

Back