• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Servers and Colocation Hosting

cobrastrike

I have been considering something for quite a while now, and as such decided you ask the community about my idea. I have been building servers for about 10 years now, and have always been able to get pricing better than what Dell, HP, and IBM can get to name a few. My idea is to offer built servers for people, and then colocate those servers for them and even offer onsite technical support. This would be different to your normal dedicated server provider however because if they wanted to cancel the colocation, they would have the server sent to them as they purchased it, and they could go onsite anytime they pleased.

I would like to know everyone's thoughts on this.

If you contact most datacenters, most will be able to provide that exact service. From buyout to Rent To Own (Where the client pays a slightly higher monthly cost for 6-12 months, and then the client owns the server and only pays colo costs)

Actually most datacenters that I have talked to WILL NOT provide a rent to own solution as they love that extra profit once the server is paid off.

Actually most datacenters that I have talked to WILL NOT provide a rent to own solution as they love that extra profit once the server is paid off.

Hmm, most if not all the datacenters I have talked to have offered it. But then again, we are talking about renting colocation space - Not just renting a server.

I can understand them not wanting to offer it if you are just colocating for that RTO server, but if you are coloing a rack, you will find they will go that extra mile to help you "Fill it up" ;) So you buy more space.

Most businesses will prefer to go for brand name servers. However, I'm sure many people will be interested in your servers if the price is right. :)

It would all depend on the specifications required. Depending on the hardware, the price might be significantly different, or just slightly different.

You see Brendan, as John said - Your only "Selling Point" would be price, with a big brand, there is less risk involved for the company buying the server, therefore, due to that risk, someone else needs to take a beating - AKA, the price.

If you can only offer it "Slightly" cheaper than Dell/RackMountsEct, and other such companies, most people would rather go with them.

Dell/HP/IBM are expensive, beating their prices is not hard, most well respected server building companies online beat their price, so why do Dells still sell? Well, for one, the name, and two, the fact that they have a finance program ;)

You see Brendan, as John said - Your only "Selling Point" would be price, with a big brand, there is less risk involved for the company buying the server, therefore, due to that risk, someone else needs to take a beating - AKA, the price.

If you can only offer it "Slightly" cheaper than Dell/RackMountsEct, and other such companies, most people would rather go with them.

Dell/HP/IBM are expensive, beating their prices is not hard, most well respected server building companies online beat their price, so why do Dells still sell? Well, for one, the name, and two, the fact that they have a finance program ;)

Dell servers aren't that expensive, you just need to know how to configure them ;)
If you order a bare dell server (mainboard / cpu) and get the needed RAM / Harddrives from another company dell is pretty cheap :)

As for Brendan ... i still don't see a selling point in what you would offer.
People that want to colocate get their servers from a company doing it as their core business (Rackmountsetc / peekay / etc. etc.) and colo it at a company that offers it as their core business.

Just because they are assured that the people building their servers do it, day in and day out the same goes for the colocators.

It would be the same as buying a bicycle from your baker ;)

If someone wants they can post a sample configuration here, and I can post how much I can build it for.

Example:
Dell said:
2x - Quad Core Xeon @ 2.5 Ghz
2x - 8gb ECC DDR2
2x - 73gb HDD (RAID 1)
3x - 300gb HDD (RAID 5)

$6,127 Plus Shipping

Me said:
2x - Quad Core Xeon @ 3.0 Ghz
4x - 4gb ECC DDR2
2x - 80gb HDD (RAID 1)
3x - 750gb HRR (RAID 5)

$4,977 (No Shipping Needed if Colocated In Dallas)

That is a savings of $1150 over Dell!!

Last edited:
If someone wants they can post a sample configuration here, and I can post how much I can build it for.

We are thinking about buying this:
2 x Intel Xeon E5520
24GB RAM
RAID 10
4 x 750GB SATA Drives
Built all SuperMicro.

Please note: we wouldn't buy the server from you, but just to give you a spec.

Good Point UnderHost.

Once again we have a company thats scammed thousands from clients starting up on a different community.

In regards to the OP, Doing server builds and colocating in Dallas wouldnt be a large profit. There are atleast 20 different organizations doing that in Dallas. Your need a different location.

Not to mention all big companies have actually contracts with Dell etc for machines, and smaller hosts cant afford a $5K investment for a server.

For the love of god.

I am not nor was I ever the owner of HostChum.
Move on everyone.
I have done anything and everything that I can, and that is all there is to it. I was under no obligation to do anything, and as such anything that I have done was a gratuity.

Josh: Go shoot yourself or jump in front of a train. You have constantly been watching me and been the first to make personal attacks against me on WHT, and now here. I have been quite polite to everyone up to the point.

Back