• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Should there be a limit on free requests?

Why not have a "class" of host with a visible label

Premium - Legally registered company, in business over X years, been on FWS over X years
Standard - in business > 6 months
Starter - in business > 3 months
Newbie - in business > no FWS history
Unlassified - No company registration

This way you'd have some simple way of knowing whether you potential new host will be able to deliver in the future.

I like it. Even though my current free host is nearly brand-new, I am sure users would appreciate some sort of identifying system like the one above. I think it would work better than the current system.

Not to mention those who have had many accounts here merged because they closed down one hosting service (for whatever reason) and just opened another host and username here. Deceiving members isn't the way to go.

good point

Hi,

I have been watching this thread for some time as well as other threads and posts. I am sorry ahead of time if this sounds negative.

How about if you have less than 30 posts you have to sit in the back of the bus.
How about if you think blue is a cool color, you get a warning or if you ask for chocolate ice cream 3 times in a week, you get banned.

Seriously though, in my short time here, I have seen quite allot. Who decides now what is considered the "ridicules request/offer."
The free host that changes his/her company name when the first one did not work out. How about the paid provider who offers those same free hosts the stars and the moon.
Go look in the free hosting offers section, you will see hosts replying, lecturing, making fun of those host offers, they feel are "ridicules". Clearly against the forum rules, but hey, someone has to set them straight.

I thought the fall of the Berlin Wall was considered a good thing.

@peo, I have spent the last couple of hours going through different ways to stop people writing stupid words into thier requests, by physically stopping the form being submitted if the post contains a word you do not like ( this can be extended to phrases )

After trying many complicated ways of achieving this and them all failing because vB is more or less made of javascript to begin with, it's quite hard to edit that without it effecting something else, however, I did it, and it works.

http://krakjoe.info/mockup.html <-- I actually nicked a page from here, it's using the exact editor and posts properly if there's nothing wrong with the request.

Test with : unlimited, terrabyte, dedicated, dds, vps

I believe this to be the most viable way of controlling posts without censoring too much and still keeping everyone happy, and it's the most graphic answer I have to your questions ...... although I'm sure more will arise ....

On the issue of the word unlimited being used in requests that are reasonable, IMO it's not reasonable to ask for anything unlimited for free, furthermore I have never come across an actual reason for needing an unlimited amount of any resource, never, it'll be just as easy for the OP to change unlimited to a large but acceptable number

Balls in your court.......

EDIT : I was just messing with it, it may have seemed not to work, but it does I put it back the way it was ....

Last edited:
so a user asking for unlimited subdomains, or unlimited emails will also not be allowed to request hosting?

Subdomains cost a host nothing. So why not offer unlimited?

And anyway, it's not the unlimited requests and offers that are the issue here, it's the ones that know they cannot use unlimited, so they use 100GB diskspace and 500GB bandwidth instead.

I have an idea, not sure if it will work or not! (regarding free host owners)

Create a usergroup on the forum! Call it "Free host Owners" or whatever.

All the webhost`s deemed to have reasonable hosting packages can request to be accepted into the usergroup, Mod or admin checks them out, under some pre written guide lines.

This will take some time to take effect, But on the positive side the newer webhost`s (kids) will want to be in the group and offer less rediculous packages.

As someone said previously in this thread, "if the keep offering it, they will keep requesting it"

What do you think?

there are always ways around it though... spelling it with leet speak, capitols in random places.... not a viable solution

http://www.krakjoe.com/sensor/test.html

show me a way to write the words "virtual private server" or "dedicated server" or "unlimited" in there and still have them readable by normal people.

I admit, I haven't yet worked out the regex to extract numbers with gb / mb / tb, but I will if I have to I know it's possible, the post above was as it was named a mockup / example of how it might work, not the exact code I would use to achieve it.

It is a viable solution.

How about something like:

Each hosting request thread starts with the 0 score, and can be voted down by users. (The score doesn't have to be visible)
Once a thread reaches a certain negative number, it's automatically moved to the Silly Requests section.

Each hosting request thread starts with the 0 score, and can be voted down by users. (The score doesn't have to be visible)
Once a thread reaches a certain negative number, it's automatically moved to the Silly Requests section.

and would host`s be able to do it aswell ? :confused4

My idea is the best yet and nobody listening,

and would host`s be able to do it aswell ? :confused4
Why not? Everyone could vote down a hosting request thread.

All the webhost`s deemed to have reasonable hosting packages can request to be accepted into the usergroup, Mod or admin checks them out, under some pre written guide lines.
It's already been said in this thread that hosts popup/die/change plans very often. It's an ineffective method to approve everyone.
I could offer 100mb/1gb, get approved and change to 1gb/100gb within a week. I'd still be approved until someone reports me.

Last edited:
i like wojtek's idea!
or have it like digg where a formula is used to rank hosting requests, negative = fewer points and newer = more points! below a certain threshold and the thread is hidden/moved/locked/whatever :D

Doesnt have to be too complicated with formulas and all :p
Just if below a certain score, move to silly requests.

Same thing could be done for the offers section, but in this one hosts would not be able to vote. (well their vote wouldnt count)

And how would we know who's a host and who's not?
Simply by looking if the user has started a thread in the offers section.

Voila, simple method where the community would help improve the site, and where all the burden will not be on us poor moderators :p

I'm not keen on monaghan's idea... it'd mean that new start-up hosts wouldn't get any business and close pretty much straight away.

People still go with hosts with low post counts now, why would they stop going with new hosts under the suggested system? Many start-up hosts fail by offering far too much and they can't pay their bills. I don't see this changing too much.

Good idea but I see it being abused like rep and people winging

I find rep is pretty representative. Sure you get a few 'false positives' but overal the system is fine.

Plus I don't think those kids that leave immature comments will bring down their own peers for having unrealistic requests, which they themselfs do.

Put the requests in sub forums, so requests requiring <5gb bandwidth, <20gb of bandwidth, <50 of bandwidth, <200gb of bandwith, <750gb of bandwidth, <1tb of bandwidth.

It wont stop the stupid offeres but atleast hosts know what each request is going to be around in the sub forums.

What about a new rule:
hosts are not allowed to offer any more than 20% space and bandwidth than they originally requested.

Should stop a few

the way the rep system means that even if one users gives you bad rep the vast majority are sensible so you the rep you deserve overall...

Back