• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Small Dedi or Big VPS?

Fahrenheit

b&
Hello.
Please share you thoughts.
I think that VPS has two faces:
- need to be managed as dedicated server
- share server with other customers.
Prices are also different.
If you were me which solution would you go with?
PS I do not worry about money

Tricky one, Depends on the VPS And Budget Dedicated Server...
VPS could be way faster when your talking about a 1GB dedicated ram VPS on a vpsnode with 8+ CPU cores Vs a Budget crappy 512mb ram 2Ghz celey
The VPS would win,
It really depends how much money your willing to spend, If you have 100+ then you would be able to get a nice dedicated server thats better than "most" vps's.

Agreed. Plus with a dedicated you have the full control. Most VPS Nodes are configured for minimal firewall rules to allow for flexibility on the VPS'. More of a possibility of ending up with an oversold provider and you only having minimal burst availability with a VPS.

Are you considering managed vps and dedicated options?
I guess managed dedicated with a lot of RAM is better, if you have enough RAM.

I'd prefer a small dedicated server over a VPS. It does really depend on the specs you would be getting. Since money doesn't worry you then you might as well get a dedicated server.

Large VPS.

Reason:

Better and more reliable hardware - A small / cheap dedicated server is old and used, the reliablity of it.. is suspect at the best of times - If you care about your data and the speed of your sites/server, a VPS is the way to go.

Don't get me wrong - Cheap dedi's are good, but you should only use them if you have to (EG: using them for something you can't do on a VPS)

VPS's will run much faster than cheap dedicated servers, as they are running on newer technologie, for example, look at the AMD vs Intel CPU - The AMD's are slower, but compete with higher Intels, its the same with old CPU's and new CPU's. 300 MHz with an AMD X2 or Core2Duo will do much more than 800 MHz on a P2.

All in all - Go for the VPS, as even tho it may have smaller specifications - It will run faster due to the fact that technologie has evolved.

Large VPS.

Reason:

Better and more reliable hardware - A small / cheap dedicated server is old and used, the reliablity of it.. is suspect at the best of times - If you care about your data and the speed of your sites/server, a VPS is the way to go.

Don't get me wrong - Cheap dedi's are good, but you should only use them if you have to (EG: using them for something you can't do on a VPS)

VPS's will run much faster than cheap dedicated servers, as they are running on newer technologie, for example, look at the AMD vs Intel CPU - The AMD's are slower, but compete with higher Intels, its the same with old CPU's and new CPU's. 300 MHz with an AMD X2 or Core2Duo will do much more than 800 MHz on a P2.

All in all - Go for the VPS, as even tho it may have smaller specifications - It will run faster due to the fact that technologie has evolved.

Nice reason, I agree

Large VPS.

Reason:

I agree aswell - You can also purchase offsite backups and the reliability concern minimizes because you never have to worry about what you will do if your harddrive fails.

Large VPS.

Reason:

Go with a VPS, much more stable.

Now, hosting-shack, are you saying that all AMD CPUs are slower than Intel CPUs? ---Reply in a PM.

AMD's are typically faster than most comparable Intel processors. Not slower-- they just have a different naming scheme.

Last edited:
Sorry if I was not clear - AMD's are slower in clockspeed (GHz) but compete with higher clockspeed Intel's.

EG: a 2.1GHz amd (2400+) competes (and mostly beats) with a 2.4GHz Intel.

Pretty much, Yes.. Except for adding IP ranges ect, Thats always done by the VPS provider... Where with dedicated some providers make you do it yourself. But overall it takes just as much to manage a VPS.

From experience, VPS and dedicated services are virtually the same (pun not intended).

I do have to say though that VPS resources can be upgraded in 5 minutes, and getting Dedi's upgraded is more of a hassle, so if its a real tos up, go with a VPS. ;)

Back