• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Small Dedi or Big VPS?

Pretty much, Yes.. Except for adding IP ranges ect, Thats always done by the VPS provider... Where with dedicated some providers make you do it yourself. But overall it takes just as much to manage a VPS.

Well it dependso n who your provider is. At GeekRack we manage our clients servers for them so they usualy just get on with there site. Althouh many get a vps because they need high bw and space and theres usualy better resources on a big vps then a small dedicated.

Well as all u people are saying a BIG VPS will definitely be an advantage due to the better computing and ram available at lower prices , although in some applications that are only for dedicated ones they are at a disadvantage .

But for most purposes a VPS is a better reliable option these days .

I come from WHT. What I don't like folks there, is they usually just say go for dedicated!! dedicated FTW!! I don't understand why such a professional forum act like that when a topic like VPS vs. Dedicated comes up. Well, we all know that dedicated is much better "ultimately" but definitely not on a cheap box.

The only advantage of low-end dedicated is you are the only one on it using it and a bit more secure, bandwidth & space. Other than that, it's all VPS. To the end, if you are running somethings serious, VPS and low-end dedicated may not be your choice either.

Clearly VPS advantages:
1. Go up to level 2/3 support for free as many as you want while cheap dedicated is unmanaged or only level1 support.

2. You get the top notch hardware from brand name vendors like Dell/HP while cheap dedicated might/should be on an used server which is a lot older than my desktop, and from an unknown vendor. Aged hardware tends to get more unstable things and HD failures.

3. RAID protection for an extra benefit(anyway, offsite backup is still required).

4. Premium bandwidth(reliable, fast, good uptime) vs. value/slow/outage network

5. When somethings go wrong, money back guarantee(or least say, extra credits) is more likely to real happen on a good VPS provider than a cheap dedicated box provider

6. Resources upgrade/downgrade on VPS is much more easier

7. There might be some hidden fees on low-end dedicated providers

8. OS re-image, backup/restore, hard reboot is very easy via VPS panel but normally you won't get these stuffs for free on cheap dedicated.

9. There are many decent VPS providers but only a couple of good cheap dedicated providers there I know of. You get more choice.

The only time I will look for a cheap dedicated is I need plenty of space & bandwidth.

Back