• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Some Network Help

coldturkey

Ok:
I have two network cards, a super long network cable, and one connection to the internet.

Objective:
Make it possible so both computers can use the internet at the same time.

So... who wants to help me? I need to be walkied thru :eek:

Thankyou greatly

1] What kind of internet connection do you have? (ie. cable, dsl, dialup)

2] You need more cables.
You need 1 cable that goes from the hub to the second computer, and than another cable that goes from the hub to your main computer.

Simply connect the 2nd computer to port 2 on the hub, and the main computer onto port 1 on the hub. On the nic card connected to the computer 1 that connects to the hub, give it an IP of
192.168.100.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 192.168.1.1

On computer 2, set the IP to 192.168.100.2 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 192.168.1.1.

Make sure both computers have the same Workgroup (Right click on Network Neighbors on your desktop, click the identification tab).

You're gonna need some type of proxy program that will allow computer #2 to access the Internet through computer #1. I recommend the program Proxy from Analogx.
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm

I think I covered most of it.

Let me know if you have a questions or if I left anything out.

You can if you connect using a null modem cable(crossover cable)

Ethernet Crossover Cable - You first must have an ethernet network interface card (NIC) in both computers to use this method. If you are using ethernet cards with RJ45 jacks (similar to a phone jack but wider), you simply need an RJ45 to RJ45 Category 5 Crossover Cable. However, you do not need a "crossover" cable if you are connecting the two computers through an ethernet hub. In this case you just need two standard Category 5 patch cables to connect to the hub. A2Z sells both the ethernet NICs and the crossover/standard ethernet network cables to do this. Regarding the "software" side of connecting the computers, you will probably need to assign TCP/IP, NetBUI, or IPX networking protocols to your ethernet network adapter card (found in Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Network). If using the TCP/IP protocol on your network adapter, you will probably need to assign different IP addresses and the same subnet masks to the TCP/IP properties of each computer: Computer 1 could be IP 192.168.0.1 & subnet 255.255.255.0, and Computer 2 could be IP 192.168.0.2 & subnet 255.255.255.0. You might also need to type in the same Workgroup Name in the Identification tab.

Do some further research on google and you will come across some articles.

Edit: Read this page also

Last edited:
You need a crossover cable or a hub to network. NooBies to network always seem to think that you can just connect them, but there needs to be something to help the computers talk to eachother (a crossover or a hub) Sorry :( You can use a parralel cable or something though :)

Well..

On a 56K .. sure you could. will it be slow? sure. i can't tell you how slow it'll be, but it'll be unbearable (you'll be splitting your 56K into 1 big 14.4 between the 2 systems).

But it's a good way to have them networked, so you can share files and such. ANd if you do you get dsl/cable eventually, you can go ahead and just connect your dsl/cable and it'll be ready to go.

My suggestion: Don't use a crossover cable. Get a hub, do it the right way the first time.

Go to Office Depot/Office Max (www.officedepot.com / www.officemax.com) and buy 2 more cat5 (or cat5e) cables (14' for like $7 bucks).

So heres what im getting so far:

It is possible with what i have, but it will be slower then if i use a hub.

Can someone walk me thru, setting it up without a hub?

Originally posted by coldturkey
So heres what im getting so far:

It is possible with what i have, but it will be slower then if i use a hub.

Can someone walk me thru, setting it up without a hub?

Sorry- can't help ya there. I don't like crossover cables.. never use them (a hub is like $30 bucks).

I have a crossover cable, im just setting it up to show my parents it actually works and i can expand on it later. Someone just help me set this up? :)

I have a crossover cable, im just setting it up to show my parents it actually works and i can expand on it later. Someone just help me set this up? :)

a crossover cable isnt a regular cable. make sure you have a crossover cable.

I made it work!!! All by myself :) I have a crossover cable because it says crossover on the box.
But i have one problem: Outlook express doesnt want to work over the network. When i try to check my email, it trys to dial up my connection, everything else works fine, but how can i make it connect thru the network?

I made it work!!! All by myself :) I have a crossover cable because it says crossover on the box.
But i have one problem: Outlook express doesnt want to work over the network. When i try to check my email, it trys to dial up my connection, everything else works fine, but how can i make it connect thru the network?

How are you sharing the Internet? If your using aprogram, it may not support SMTP.

Btw: What settings did you use for both nic cards?

Its fast as Normal, and Windows XP set it all up for me :)

I just want to know how to make Outlook express go through the network instead of trying to dial the modem

In windows control panel, under internet options, click on the connections tab, delete any dial up accounts you have listed there... That should force Outlook Express to use the LAN connection.
Note: You can do the same thing from IE by clicking tools, and selecting internat options

Its fast as Normal, and Windows XP set it all up for me :)

I just want to know how to make Outlook express go through the network instead of trying to dial the modem

You should have said that from the start. XP is the best OS I've seen when it comes to setting up a network (it even creates the disk to install the settings on the guest computers).

Originally posted by Robert

You should have said that from the start. XP is the best OS I've seen when it comes to setting up a network (it even creates the disk to install the settings on the guest computers).

Yes, and it turns out i have a built in hub :eek:

Back