• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

starting a server, will my cable provider mind?

is0lized

See Below
my cable company doesnt allow a server, but this wont be a popular (traffic wise) or a public server for people to use, im going to use it for me to learn how to run a web server

do you think this would be ok?

my cable company is ATT BroadBand Internet

prolly not.

if you dont get alot of traffic they will never know but if you get tons it will throw up flags and they will investigate and prolly kill ur acct

They wont mind, although you do have to use a different port rather then the default one in apache(I forgot what port it is).

why i use port 80 on my cable and it works fine. i only use it for local testing but port 80 the default works for me.

Originally posted by Daniel
They wont mind, although you do have to use a different port rather then the default one in apache(I forgot what port it is).

It's either 80 or 81. I use 8000; It's only for local testing.

Originally posted by michael p bennett
why i use port 80 on my cable and it works fine. i only use it for local testing but port 80 the default works for me.

Are you on ATT Broadband?

My friend is and he couldn't get his server to work because ATT blocks a certain port.

Well if you didn't use port 80 I can't see why they wouldn't allow you. Cable and adsl lines are designed to be downloading and uploading constantly. It can't be the bandwidth. Why would they not like it?

Awhile back there was the Code Red Worm threat and *most* ISPS blocked Port 80 to prevent any of those customers running a server from getting infected and infecting the network.

Most ISPs don't allow servers since it uses a lot of bandwidth.

Most don't allow it. I know Adelphia Powerlink, OOL, ATT, @HOME don't allow it. @HOME residental customers can't.. @HOME Business can.

Originally posted by is0lized
my cable company doesnt allow a server ... im going to use it ... to run a web server ... do you think this would be ok?
I think you answered your own question there.

Even though Chicken is right..

A few ISPS don't allow servers, but they do allow "personal servers". When they say a "personal server", they mean a server that only YOU and yourself can access and not cause too much usage of bandwidth. Most ISPS wont cut you if they see your running a small server using no resources or bandwidth.

Originally posted by robert
Awhile back there was the Code Red Worm threat and *most* ISPS blocked Port 80 to prevent any of those customers running a server from getting infected and infecting the network.

Most ISPs don't allow servers since it uses a lot of bandwidth.

Most don't allow it. I know Adelphia Powerlink, OOL, ATT, @HOME don't allow it. @HOME residental customers can't.. @HOME Business can.

adding to the list road runner home doesnt but road runner business class does

3.Customers are strictly prohibited from running server-based applications on Residential Road Runner accounts. This would include, without limitation, the running of HTTP Web servers, FTP servers, Gaming servers, SMTP and POP Mail servers, Domain Name Servers, Chat servers, etc.

from rr tos

I have a friend that tried hosting off cable, they kicked him off, and said it was because they don't want any one hosting copy righted stuff

Originally posted by TriForce
They think they lose money if someone offers free hosting off there adsl servers.

Not really, they just don't want Commercial (business) users using a cheap residential link.

My isp has never said anything about my setup , prolly cause im always uploading and download stuff . Last time I checked before using apache , i was using about 100 gigs a month down and 75 gigs up a month:cool:

I am confused, I ordered DSL last night and here is what they say before you go to purchase it in the agreement...

We offer a static IP so you can host your own website from your own computer for example www.(yoursitehere).com you can also host your own ftp, or mail server.

Now when I got to the last page to submit my order after I gave them all my information the BIG agreement comes up and is about ten pages long, here is what it said

Under section 1.2 (restrictions)
"DIRECTV Broadband may offer the Service, at it's descretion, to customers who will use it for limited commercial purposes. However, the Service may not be used by customers to host commercial web sites. You may not connect more than 5 computers at a single location to the Servce absent written consent from DIRCTV Broadband. In the event you attempt to utilize the Service in a manner inconsistent with these restrictions, DirectV Broadband may, at its sole descretion, increas the fees associated with the Service, or terminate the Service."

Tell me, is this false advertisement?

Back