• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Starting It Up

.Joe.

Yours Truly
NLC
Hello,

I've been deciding for a while now, that I'm going to purchase a server to start up a hosting company. I just have a few questions:

1) Is this market really difficult to go through?
2) What are some tips/suggestions in effectively getting your business name known?
3) Any general tips/suggestions on how to do well in this industry?
4) If you purchase a dedicated server, and sell space from the server - do you require a license?
5) Is it possible to deposit money through a bank account without a credit card onto PayPal?
6) The popular control panel is cPanel correct? How do you Microsoft OS hosts stay alive with this big cPanel fiasco? What if I wanted to offer H-Sphere, is that a big mistake? Should I just stay with linux and cPanel.
7) Why would someone choose Linux over Windows and vice-versa.

Thank you to whoever can help me.

Regards,
Joe.

Last edited:
1. Yes, there is a HELL of alot of competition
2. Dont ask me, im just a newb :p
3. refer to 2 :p
4. Well, youll require licencing for the software you use most likely.
If your asking about a business licence, you dont nessecarily need to be a registered business, infact at the start i dont think theres much point till you begin seeing returns.
5. Sure is :D
You just signup, they deposit like 15c into your account, you go back to paypal and enter the transaction numbers and sign the electronic forms and the accounts become linked. Works like a cheque account.

Cheers
Fee

Thanks fnixws.

I've also updated more questions:
6) The popular control panel is cPanel correct? How do you Microsoft OS hosts stay alive with this big cPanel fiasco? What if I wanted to offer H-Sphere, is that a big mistake? Should I just stay with linux and cPanel.

6. Theres cpanel for Windows 2008 coming soon :p
But theres a few others for windows, Plesk and Helm to name a few.
LXAdmin for windoes is coming soon too.

7. I choose windows over linux because i had used windows before. It was a mistake. Windows is not only a ----- to use, but most hosting type scripts and programs are made for linux and their windows equivalents are poor copies at best.
When it comes to hosting. I can now say, linux is much more well equipt to do the job and MS just seems to be trying to catch up.

Offer what ever you want, find other ways to gain clients, hosting forums only attract n00bs with no money and kids.
cpanel is only that big here, most companys that want a website dont care what panel they use since they have a web designer too...

The hosting market on forums such as this is very minor to the people that pay!

Offering local company's websites is prob the best.
Your more likely to get 30+$/month per person.

Linux is the most used in the hosting game, its better with loads/ram

Is it possible to get two different control panels on one dedicated server?
For example; having cPanel and DirectAdmin?

If you use HyperVM you can do 5xVPS free i think :D
One of wich can be an LXAdmin VPS, giving you 3 control panels.

Would people buy hosting packages (shared hosting I guess) if the host offers LXAdmin, a free control panel?

LXAdmin isnt really a "free" control panel, but you can get a 40domain free version with hypervm.
IMO, its a dam good lil panel. Its a shame its not more popular.

LXAdmin isnt really a "free" control panel, but you can get a 40domain free version with hypervm.
IMO, its a dam good lil panel. Its a shame its not more popular.

+1 that it's darn good and lightweight :D It just needs a better style/theme ;)

So, if I would buy a server with DirectAdmin, is it a big waste? Because only cPanel attracts the most customers?

So, if I would buy a server with DirectAdmin, is it a big waste? Because only cPanel attracts the most customers?
No, not at all. cPanel isn't as powerful in my opinion as DirectAdmin, I'd take DA over cPanel anyday. Thing is, most customers have only used cPanel, so they don't like using other panels, for ease of use.

No, not at all. cPanel isn't as powerful in my opinion as DirectAdmin, I'd take DA over cPanel anyday. Thing is, most customers have only used cPanel, so they don't like using other panels, for ease of use.

I'm with you, I personally like DirectAdmin alot better then cPanel...but I feel like the customers/market is only aware of cPanel and have a big emphasis in their mind that cPanel is the best...

Back