• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

sub-domains

KapTinKiRk

Is there a way, through the use of Perl, PHP, .htaccess or whatever, to create sub-domains that are not simply redirects.

So for example, something.mysite.com would have URL's such as something.mysite.com/page/index.html instead of having something.mysite.com redirect to mysite.com/something and then having the URL as mysite.com/something/page/index.html

Hopefully I explained that alright without confusion :)

Any way I can find that someone?

Anyone else have any idea how to do this?

[Edited by KapTinKiRk on 12-10-2000 at 10:51 PM]

I assume you have your own domain name. It is possible to do this using zonedit.com. They offer free dns services where you control the dns settings, subdomains, mail forwarders etc. Works great I use it myself

I think the ZoneEdith route will only give you redirects of the subdomains. The best you can do with them it to set up an A record and then have subdomains redirect into that same domain (uncloaked). Then you will be looking at the original domain with its subfiles.

Example: Direct mydomain.com through an A record to an IP address. Then have your subdomain, something.mydomain.com, redirect to mydomain.com/something.html

Not exactly what you are looking for. I gave up and went to below10host.com and bought one of their cheep plans that has subdirectories.

tell me your e-mail address, i will send you one, but first make sure that your host has wildcards enabled.

You can email me using the forum forms (i know, no attachments) or send me a message on AIM.

And yes my host has wildcards.

Back