• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

suggestions for an e-zine

robin

am attempting to reinvent my current site as an ezine-ish type thing. I came up with a mockup for the front page; it can be seen at http://nerdcore.org/new/mainpage.htm

the right side is horribly bare, but I don't want to fill it up with more boxes or anything. any constructive suggestions, general or specific, are appreciated greatly.

and parenthetically, this is my 100th post! boo-ya.

page looks good, only i would give the page some more color

well, i think it's great to have more boxes at the left side of the page

or you have to put a dropdown menu between 2 boxes for some special effect.......

Love,
Mirna

The page looks good. How did you make them graphics (logo and the thing at the top of the page). It looks good and I was wondering what you used to make them. The graphics on my site are ok but they could do with improving. Click here to see my site.

i used the gimp...

if you're at all familiar with photoshop/paint shop pro/gimp:

- made a new image, white bg, filled it in with my colour of choice
- erased every other row (you can do this automatically in gimp, dunno about the others)
- new layer, transparent bg
- used the gradient tool to make a black-fading-to-white thing
- set the mode on the new layer to Screen
- new layer, transparent bg
- add some text

flatten image, and voila.

Could do with somemore color, but the design is the scroll down type. You know when you're reading the newspaper and you can't quite see the end of the article because it's on the bottom of the folded paper? Well, you're site design avoided that, but I think putting 4 columns in would make it a little better. The far left is a link column, then articles would go in the remaining ones. You might consider it having wrapped text around your pictures.

Back