• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Suspicious accounts

Thanks alot you guys , Im stuck for words here one of our servers is a great server but since we started offering free webhosting last week we have had very serious problems with it heres an example..

ftpd failed
Server Load 27.18 (2 cpus)
Memory Used 91.2 %
Swap Used 100.00 %

How that can be i dont understand as our servers quite empty just now.
I suspect someone of using our hostingas a spam centre but im not sure how to find this out if anyone has any tips how to it would be very much apreciated.
Are you using Cpanel on the server? If so log into the root WHM, go to Server Status and click on CPU/Memory/MySQL Usage. You should see which account(s) is hogging the servers resources.

Nothing wrong with asking for help.

1: Root SSH. Watch top and see what is the main culprit - look out for apache, mysql, exim or suspicious looking processes taking a lot of resources.

2: I can see you use CPanel, go into the root WHM and look at the Apache Status, Email Queue, information provided here usually gives you the answer. For mass email queues check the mail headers, 90 percent of the time you will be able to tell which account is causing this.

3: There are a number of security hardening measures which you can do for a free hosting environment. That'd be a long list, let me know if you have no clue here as well.

4: Root SSH, run the updatedb command and "locate" a few common keywords which you want to have nothing to do with ;)

Many thanks for that james , I have deleted the culprits causing the problems & all is well. Also big thanks to everyone else that helped.

That XXX sound like looking down on XXX? Well, i dont think those XXX cant read/understand the so called "TOS". I would said that 99% of XXX won't bother or just too lazy to read the "TOS" even more the service is provided FREE!!!

Thats why most of the XXX get suspended or terminated.

That XXX sound like looking down on XXX? Well, i dont think those XXX cant read/understand the so called "TOS". I would said that 99% of XXX won't bother or just too lazy to read the "TOS" even more the service is provided FREE!!!

Thats why most of the XXX get suspended or terminated.

Totally Agreed.
7.gif

We had massive issues originally when we launched our free hosting, and ended up building a system from scratch incorporating MaxMind fraud detection. Makes it easier to judge proxy/spam scores/blacklisted details, high risk countries, and fake signups.

So far we've declined 380+ orders in a week (fake signup details, known spammers, blacklisted IPs etc), and only allowed around 125, just goes to show how much of an issue it can be.

Back