• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Task Manager

d-w host

What if the task manager is gone, like when you press CTRL+ALT+DEL nothing happens, this is on Windows XP, any ideas.

:D

heres some tech advice.
1. Remove hard drive from pc
2. Throw out of 20 storey car park
3. Wish you'd never bought windows
4. Stay away from the mac store
5. Get linux
6. rejoice.
Easy.

needle actually has very good advice. But if you don't want to go through all that, download HiJackThis (search it), then run it and post the results on a forum like thatcomputerguy.us. You'll get help. Good luck!

LYT-Michael said:
I'd use the regedit and manually remove and bogus keys. Simple for me but may not be simple for all ;)

Right! Not simple for all. That's why I suggest hijackthis and getting advice from others who have more expertise.

TomJA said:
Right! Not simple for all. That's why I suggest hijackthis and getting advice from others who have more expertise.

OK. Will try that out. Thanks for the help.

There is a registry hack to enable or disable Windows NT TaskManager. The same registry hack applies to Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Name: DisableTaskMgr
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1=Enablethis key, that is DISABLE TaskManager
Value: 0=Disablethis key, that is Don't Disable, Enable TaskManager

Yeh, HiJackthis is a good program. I mean some malware/trojans/viruses actually block these helper programs. He'll know if he cant open those things. Good luck and be sure to post the results here! :)

d-w host said:
What if the task manager is gone, like when you press CTRL+ALT+DEL nothing happens, this is on Windows XP, any ideas.

I have been having the same problem.:confused4 I will have to give hijackthis a shot too.

That happened to me once and I tried everything, and ended up paying for windows.

Back