• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

The Gov Is Spying on us!

Wojtek said:
Breaking News: Think printouts can't be traced to you? Think again.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=2031
http://www.eff.org/Privacy/printers/docucolor/

Your english literature teacher could decode your printer's serial number, oh my...
Should I care that they can? It's not like I'm printing out bomb-making instructions or something... besides, I use the printers at school anyway. I don't own one.

themoose said:
methinks X15 means goverment.
As did I... but that's not what he said. ;)

Last edited:
I understand the concerns of some people. I don't want to live in Big Brother world either. And if it is going to be Big Brother, I want to know exactly what, how and when I am being watched.

However, the article about the Keylogger is a little to presumptuous.

The real life implications of this are plain: Computer manufacturers
Well, maybe one manufacturer is, and on this model of laptop.
appear to be cooperating with the Department of Homeland Security
Fair enough. If the keylogger didn't involve them, you might think they would say that. However, the "denial" message may be a copy&paste answer for any sort of negative response.
to make every person who buys a new computer
Again, one manufacturer, one model.
subject to immediate, unrestricted government recording of everything they do on those computers! EVERYTHING!
It logs keystrokes. Sure, would be a huge privacy invasion, but it certainly isn't everything you do. Doesn't log what you click on, what programs you install, what websites you visit (unless you type the address in).

And about the printer...interesting to know. When they start keeping a database of printer serials linked to owners, then you have to worry.

This would definatly be a problem for me. Now as a 14 year old high school student I have no real information (credit card etc.) that I would be concerned about. However they should, if this is true, give the consumer a heads up about the keylogger. I really have no big problem with it just as long as I know its there! But I don't think this is true.

Back